Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food

Options
  • 02-11-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, can anyone recommend a good food for a 6yo labrador Cross dog who has a dicky tummy? He had runny/watery poo with a bit of blood so I took him to the vet who put him on tablets and Hills gastrointestinal biome food and this worked great. The vet said to reintroduce his original food then (gain elite) but after a few weeks now he's not eating well and runny again. The vet said he could stay on the Hills but it's €99 for 12kg which I just can't afford. Can anyone recommend a good alternative please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've use Royal Canine Digestive Care for my last dog and my current foster, and they both did/are doing well on it.

Just as a note though, the Hills food is cheaper on Zooplus (although the RC is cheaper again).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

What about raw meat diet. Yes more expensive than run of the mill kibbles but might be an option worth exploring here.

a few operators do it but one is below. Delivery is via courier in a cooler style box.

https://www.fetchyourpetneeds.ie/product/approved-raw-dog-food-chicken-and-veg-1kg/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My small dog is on Acana which is excellent quality, but wont save you any money. But its way better than what you are feeding your fella at the moment.

I had done some research and the zooplus Brands were better value:

Markus Muhle ( both Markus Muhle Natural and Markus Muhle Black Angus)

Lukullus

Wolf of Wilderness

All scored high on the all about dog food website. In the end, I stuck with Acana, and he is doing well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I second Wolf of Wildnerness.

Our dog is picky and has stomach issues. Since putting him on this about 18 months ago we haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Acana, Wolf of Wilderness, Taste of the wild, Purizon, all grain free that we have fed, no runny poos!

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'd second this. Moved mine to raw 8 years ago due to one have a permanent runny tummy and another recovering from liver shunt surgery. Never looked back. On price it's not too expensive. I have 5 jacks ranging from 9kg to 15kg in size, I feed them raw for less then €3 a day - that's for all 5. Raw chicken wings for breakfast, green tripe + something else for dinner. They are all at their ideal weight and not a gippy tummy in sight. One feature of raw feeding is small, firm, poo.

I tend to go with whichever supplier has tripe when I'm doing my monthly order - Fetch your pets as mentioned above, https://animalfoods.ie/ or https://slaneypetfoods.ie/. Some vets/pet stores also sell it but I do find these expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My dear departed dalmatian (died this year age 16) did very well on harringtons lamb and rice. Everything else hill's, royal canin etc caused severe stomach issues. My mother's and sister dog all thrived on it too. Its very good value and it and cheese were the only things he could eat. I have my new puppy on gain big puppy as that's what he was on when we got him.

Advertisement