Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big house/building in north Dublin

Options
  • 02-11-2021 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭

what is this building, photo taken from a ferry in the port. I was trying to identify it from Google maps but couldn't find it, thought it might be DCU, seems to be in the direction of the airport (I think that's the airport traffic tower on the left of the pic). Apologies for the crap phone-cam resolution:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

OK - having drawn some lines on Google maps I think it's St David's CBS in Artane, FKA Artane House, then Artane Industrial School. It's certainly an imposing building.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I wouldn't have thought it was that tall/elevated, that it could be seen from the port. But it looks like it alright.

I only spotted that building a few months back on google maps. Had never noticed it before, tucked away behind Artane Castle shopping centre.

bear in mind the ferry is quite tall, from the deck I was on it was probably the equivalent of being on the 4th or 5th storey of a building.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

It could be the Marino College building on Griffith avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think that would have cranes in the shot at the moment

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

it's definitely the former Artane Industrial School.

I thought it was a country mansion they'd repurposed for the school, but it appears it was purpose built. They really wanted the building to impose itself on it's inhabitants I guess 😕

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I grew up 100m from that building and would not in a million years have thought/realised you could see it so prominently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weird, this is the second time in a few days i've seen someone ask about this building.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Has something been knocked down recently that might have blocked the view of it up to now? Or trees been removed?

I don't think so unless whatever was blocking it was MAHOOSIVE! I mean, the Aviva would block it, or the Childrens Hospital; but it's a massive building and appears to be on a bit of a hill. Howth and the Port are in 2 different directions as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the two contexts above where it was spotted - one was from a ferry, so not an angle most people would see at all regularly, and the second was what appears to be low sun hitting it, seen from a viewpoint high above it, so possibly just two contexts where it's more visible than normal?

it doesn't seem to be visible from strand road, the port/poolbeg/incinerator block the view, from what i can see from google street view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's 100% St David's ,

There a bit of a trick to it, its placed on top of a hill so easily seen from Howth & the port when on a tall vessel but when you at ground level going up the Malahide road or anywhere actually close you can't see it as its hidden by houses in front of it ,

I's all about perspective on this one ,

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

great school, I went there in the 80's, loved sitting in the tech drawing class and looking out over the bay, as mr glynn the mickey drawing teacher used to say "it was situated at the top of the house", right in the middle of the building, jusy below the four chimneys, ye could see for miles.

Why was your teacher known for drawing mickeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

😂🤣😂 no..lol, it was a slang term the kids used to describe mechanical drawing class, "the mickey drawing class".... but good reply tho..pmsl

Funnily enough, I was coming through Fairview Park the other day, looked out in the Artane direction, and St. Davids was immediately visible.

Advertisement