Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet weather gear

Options
  • 02-11-2021 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭

Thats time of year again, wet weather clothing is something I've always struggled to get right. Have a Alpinestars Tahoe jacket which is good but the matching trousers don't seem to fair as well.

Was thinking of taking the plunge on the Dirtlej core dirtsuit, its a big wedge of money but it seems to get good reviews. Anyone any experience with onesie style waterproof clothing?

Any other suggestions, maybe even good waterproof shorts, because lets be honest, it's only the calves that are exposed and how often does it really get cold enough for full length trousers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just ordered the Dirtlej pro suit myself (3/4 length) from Bike24, seems to be the best price there. Bought one last year but size L was a bit too loose on me so never got to try it out. Have heard good things about the Endura MT500 jacket and shorts but even pricier than the dirtlej when combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah, both brands are on the pricey side of what I would consider acceptable to pay for clothing but at least the dirtlej are slightly more 'affordable'.

Do you mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm 5'9 but wear body armour so unsure if the large would be sufficient fit in the chest/upper body area.

5'9 too. It was actually not too big to be honest. It was a tad too long for me but fit well everywhere else. Sold it recently. I should have the M soon so will let you know how it fits.

Tried on the medium today, perfect length and fit me ok across chest and shoulders, tiny bit tight but was wearing a heavy hoody. I'd say L might suit you better if wearing armour to be honest. More wiggle room. Also depends on your build, M if slim build. I'm a medium build and weigh 86kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I know its an older thread, but no point starting a new one on the same subject.

Wailin can I ask how you've gotten on with the dirt suit since? That time of year again so I'm looking at getting some wet weather kit so the weather doesn't keep providing me with weak excuses not to get out on the bike. Dirt suit looks like a fantastic option, bit pricey, but if it works then it works.

Or are there other options worth considering?

• Advertisement

I've worn it twice since getting it! I just find it a little too heavy and I tend to overheat in it, that's just wearing a T shirt and MTB shorts underneath, nothing else. It hasn't been cold enough and wet enough for me to actually give it a proper use. Another thing that niggled me was the trouser end was getting caught sometimes in the bottle cage occasionally, causing some problems. I didn't check to see if I can tighten the end of the trouser to prevent that. At the end of the day though, I was able to take it off and jump into the car completely muck free, with a change of shoes of course. It's extremely waterproof....but, you will sweat (unless very cold out), so kind of defeats the purpose. Sorry, not sure if that's much use to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Advertisement