Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved from History and Heritage Forum - Guidance appreciated with DFA apllications.

Options
  • 01-11-2021 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello Everyone,

As with so many Brits that have jumped on the Irish Citizenship bandwagon since the (dopey Billy feckin') Brexit referendum I too find myself on the DFA website and collecting birth certificates for family members who are sadly no longer with us.

My grandmother and grandfather were the last of my family to be born in Ireland. As far as I can tell that means their child, my mother, born in Britain is automatically an Irish citizen and can apply for an Irish Passport. Have I got that right? Is she likely to hit any snags when applying for an Irish Passport without first registering her birth?

When I go to apply to register my Irish Citizenship by decent im asked for the date of my mothers foreign birth registration. Does this mean that if I want to register my foreign birth my mothers foreign birth has to be registered first before I can start mine, even though she is automatically entitled to citizenship? If not, what else can I do?

There seems to be huge backlogs in the department for seemingly obvious reasons of Covid pressures and a massive amount of new applications, and Ive heard stories of the applications taking as long as two years to process. Does that really mean that im likely to have to wait four years until I can become an Irish citizen?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this situation. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I admit I'm puzzled. It seems to me that it's your birth that needs to be entered in the foreign births register, not your mother's. Is it possible that you are misreading the requirement?

Advertisement