Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice - want to buy a guinea pig

Options
  • 01-11-2021 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I'm new here and looking for advice.

I'd like to buy a guinea pig but don't know much about it.

Is it best to get 1 or 2? What's the best age to get them at? And where do I even start to look for one? I'm in the Limerick/Clare area

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Firs question, what draws you towards guinea pigs?

You need to get guinea pigs in same sex pairs, they become stressed and depressed if kept alone.

Are you planning on keeping them indoors or outdoors? Guinea pigs typically make better pets when kept indoors. They are a prey animal, and are naturally quite skittish, when kept indoors they can be a lot more tame. They need to be kept in an at least 1.2meter long enclosure, they need space to eat, sleep and go to the toilet.

Keep in mind hay makes up 80-90% of their diet, the biggest mistake people make is using hay as bedding. You also need to keep in mind if you have a hay allergy. Also they need access to hay 24/7, otherwise they can literally die.

There's a lot of Facebook groups in Ireland dedicated to homing guinea pigs. I strongly advise against buying them, adopt instead, there's an extortionate amount of guinea pigs looking for homes at the moment.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement