Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has become"untrained"

Options
  • 31-10-2021 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭

10 month old bichon frise has started peeing inside again. Toilet training was difficult as per the breed but he got there and learned to go to the back door when he needed to go. I think he might be marking territory as he is going up against a leg of the table or other furniture. Any one any ideas if this is normal behavior or how best to tackle it?

Comments

Crate the dog when inside. It won’t pee in its own bed.

Was there another dog in your house at some point ? They will pee on other dogs pee. You mighn’t have noticed it. You’lll need to clean any area he has peed on with biological washing powder to get rid of the scent. Otherwise he’ll just pee there again. If they can smell it it’ll happen again.

I wouldn’t let another dog in the house until the problem is well sorted.

We loooked after my sister in laws dog while they were on holiday. She peed in the house and then our two peed on that. Pain in the proverbial. Got it sorted sharpish as above. Cleaned the area. Took the sister in laws dog out constantly until she got the picture and restricted her to a small space to sleep in. Don’t have a crate but will insist on having one if minding a dog again.

Also if people visit I don’t let their dogs in the house. It can create problems - garden yes / house no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Is he neutered? When my German Shepherd wasn't neutered at that age I caught him about to lift the leg in the house a handful of times, particularly when we had a visitor over who had an unneutered male dog, and her dog wasn't with her but his scent was on her clothing/shoes and my dog could pick it up.

Also what are you using to clean the area with? Were there any other animals in the house or any people visiting who have pets? Is he showing any fear of fireworks? Sometimes dogs will mark as a stress response because it gives them a sense of relief.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There is an adolescence or teenage stage for most puppies. Think it’s 8 months to 2 years. Previous house trained puppies revert and puppies not exhibiting separation anxiety can become needy nellies.

the answer is to go back to basics and retrain and focus on the previous wins.

not sure if anyone still believes certain breeds are difficult to train. I believe it’s down ti the owners approach.

Advertisement