Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is the cost of the stamp divided up for international postage?

Options
  • 29-10-2021 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

If I post something from Dublin to Galway, An Post will obviously keep 100% of the stamp price.

If I post something to, say for example, Finland, where there are direct links from Ireland presumably they get a slice of the postage fee too (but how is that divided up)???

What about something a bit more obscure? Say I post a letter to Tajikistan.... there are not direct links there from Ireland or most of the EU, so the letter will presumably go to Russia or maybe Istanbul first and then finally Tajikistan ....is the cost of the stamp divided 3 ways? How is it done, who decides the proportionality of the divisions and how are Turkey/Russia/Finland/Tajikistan reimbursed?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Universal Postal Union works out all the rates and routes. All the tables are public but not easy to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I like the way they're called the Universal Postal Union, and not the more obvious International Postal Union. Will save them a rebranding when we're sending letters to Proxima Centauri b.

Advertisement