Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with adopted dog

Options
  • 29-10-2021 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

My wife and I adopted a one-year-old Cane Corso pup from a pound recently. She took to us straight away and me especially. She's affectionate, well-mannered, and playful. What more could we want !

We were told she came from a house with other dogs and children. The story about her surrender is ropey at best. We were also told she walks well on a lead but she didn't really. Not a big issue because not all dogs walk on leads as well as I would like so I was happy to put in the work.

After only a couple of days, I've managed to get her to walk a lot better on a lead and not drag me into every hedge and garden. There was an issue yesterday however where she lunged at a young boy and he had to be grabbed by his father. Moments later she did the same with a toddler in a stroller. She will also lunge at other dogs to the point I have to wrestle her to stop. She has no problems with adults, old and young, and will walk happily past them.

My wife wants to see if we can do something with a trainer. I'm on the fence as she really is a lovely dog but I'm afraid she's a liability. Help please !! 😥

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

short leash, get a harness & Halti, walk somewhere remote for now, away from everyone.

if she goes in a different direction, reverse your direction.

short walks a few times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

How long have you been working with your dog? Training takes a long time, not sure of the timeframes here. 90% of problems with animals can be overcome with training, patience and careful ownership. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Thats what I've been doing. Our previous dog had a lot of pulling power on the lead, so I'm used to it.

It's not an option to walk her remotely. We live in a busy little village and I work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anytime you see a child approaching take out the treats and get the dog to focus on you. Same with other dogs. It will take time but will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

When you say lunge is it aggressive or wants to play lunge?

Either is bad but if its aggressive you need seriously consider muzzling. Cane corso is a big dog and could easily hurt someone even if just playful.

Try walk her at quiet times and in areas where you can easily distance yourself from passers by. Is there a park nearby where you can walk where it is easy to walk off the paths and try find what distance you need to be away from other dogs to have her not lunge. If you are too close and she is jumping you are too close to be able to train her, you need to find that point where she shows interest but you can still distract her and work on reducing that distance.

I'd also add don't feel guilty if you think she is too much to handle and need to hand her back, while I'd agree most problems can be overcome with training Cane Corso is a big dog with potential to do serious damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 BurntAsh

lunged at a young boy and he had to be grabbed by his father. Moments later she did the same with a toddler in a stroller. She will also lunge at other dogs

We live in a busy little village

You didn't mention it but I hope your dog is muzzled. Sounds like a tough situation. Best of luck with it.

She isn't muzzled and only after reading the control of dogs act now noticed it covers strains of breeds as well. So it looks like she has to be.

Ok so your powerful dog which you struggle to control in a small town is lunging at young children and other dogs and your immediate response to are they on a a muzzle is "they're not on a restricted breeds list"...

And you're replying to a post that was edited because I was incorrect.

I had thought as type of mastiff and not bullmastiff it would not be covered as a bandog but I don't know enough about dog breeds and legislation to be sure of it. My point was as a result of the behaviours that muzzling would be a good idea regardless of the breed status (at least temporarily).

I hope with your dog on a muzzle that you feel more confident walking the dog and putting in place strategies that reduce the unwanted behaviours. Again best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

I decided to bring her back to the pound today. It was a very hard decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

you tried, all the best to you & yours x

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

You made the right decision. Hopefully the pound will engage with a rescue, who will rehabilitate / train her not to be reactive in those situations. Pounds are always sketchy at best at a dogs history! If you decide to get another dog , go to a reputable rescue & outline your current living circumstances & experience & they should be able to find you a suitable match .

The pound engaged with a kennel we know well. The owners are friends of my wife.

She's with them for a stay and some training. She's a lovely dog but needs professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

It happens pal, don't beat yourself up. We adopted a lurcher crossed with a pitbull type dog from a well known rescue as our first dog years ago and had a similar type circumstance develop. The dog had obviously had a tough life and had many issues that we didn't know about when we rehomed him. With a 11 year old child in the house at the time the dog just had to go back we couldn't take the chance and we have since rehomed two lovely rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

You had good intentions and it didnt work out dont beat yourself up that dog more than likely would thrive in a country setting with a land owner and away from people. Every dog has individual needs i can however recommend lurchers or greyhounds or whippets to you . I have all three all rescues and unreal so happy to have warmth & food as they are the most tortured dogs in Ireland and every rescue & pounds have them . I saw 2 lovely whippets in LAW in limerick whippets need 20 mins twice a day and they sleep in the heat for the rest adorable lovely gentle souls you just want to protect them. Springers are fabulous dogs to and all the dogs i recommend are social to people and thats important in a village setting. Also good support from all sighthound owners too, always keen to help out and meet up. Good luck in your search do give another rescue dog a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭amber2

Just reading this adopted a dog 3 months back, have 20 plus years of experience with the breed but the dog has lunged at one of the kids already and 2 weeks ago went for him and drew blood, I say kids but it’s a teenager so I know they didn’t do anything whatsoever to the dog and couldnt blame them in any way. Edit I should say it’s a restricted breed and an ex breeder so has not come from a family environment.

Have been in contact with the rescue on the day of the bite and still waiting on them to take them back. Have been growled at a few times since for simply stroking the dog.

Just wondering how long the return process took.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭zv2

I have a similar problem with a border terrier but only with other dogs, not children. I find if I say "Stop" before she reaches the other dog she will be ok. The trick seems to be to tell her what not to do before she gets a chance to do it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Without getting annoyed, I would be making a lot of noise at the rescue to take the dog back immediately, before something worse happens. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, don't sit quietly waiting for them to get around to getting the dog out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭amber2

I Just don’t want the dog to be put down, as I would feel so guilty she isn’t all bad and good when on her terms but going for the face is just a no go for me and not something I’m comfortable with my children.

The rescue have told me they don’t have space for her return and have put her details up online for rehoming again, which a bit unsettling. This appears to me that the rescue think the problem is with us, I wouldn’t make anything like this up about a dog, I have nothing to gain at this point I’ve paid the adoption fee and am willing to give the dog back.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Have you contact a local behaviouralist?

Advertisement