Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tank replacement

Options
  • 27-10-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Filled my 1150 litre oil tank recently. Now it's leaking. Typical!

Any idea of reasonable cost to replace?

I have 1 quote so far - €350 for new tank plus €400 for labour, parts, etc.

The base under the tank looks fine (concrete lintels on concrete blocks).

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't wait around getting more quotes.

If that person will do the job straight away go with them.

If you leave the oil leaking into the ground you will have a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Had a similar issue. I found out kingspan took the supplier of the plastic to court as they felt the uv resistance wasn't up to scratch.

They lost but the plumber who replaced mine said he had seen quite a few fail all of similar vintage. Read into that what you like...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Mine was bunded. Its beside my well so no choice

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Tanks should be inspected as part of your annual boiler service. A lot of them are installed in a manner that prevents proper checking, and the only option for the boiler tech is to write on the invoice/service record, that it cannot be properly inspected. Then explain the implications to the owner of the difficulty they may have if there is a leak and insurance claim.

Delivery drivers are nowadays more cautious about putting oil into such tanks, but usually when it's obvious to a driver, it will also have been noticed (and recorded) by the service guy.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks for getting back to us with a reply. Some useful information on this thread for others in such a predicament.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with the above comment, don't hang about, get it sorted. I would strongly suggest getting a bunded tank which will cost about twice the price of an ordinary one, but it will save the worry and hassle of future leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got my tank replaced last month.

Nearly a thousand to replace and 180 to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

How old was the tank? Material, steel or plastic? Any idea what caused the leak?

Perhaps some of us might learn a lesson. I agree with the proposal to get a bunded tank, if you can find the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 figures21

Thanks to all for your input.

My old tank was 1150ltr Kingspan single-skin rectangular tank, maybe 12 years old. There was several stress cracks vertically in one end, with a small slow leak, maybe 1-2 litres per day, which I was catching in a basin.

A guy in a local oil suppliers told me that the main cause of such leaks is high summer temperatures (which softens the plastic) followed by filling the tank to the top (which stresses it).

I've replaced it now with a similar tank. Total cost was €650, including the tank, new fittings, labour and disposal of the old tank.

A bunded (double-skinned) tank would, of course, be ideal option but they cost €1,000+, about 3 times the price of regular (single-skin) version.

Advertisement