Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Smart Meter - How To Get One Early?

Options
  • 26-10-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

I have contacted ESB and have been put on the “early adopter” list for a Smart Meter when they reach my area (Lucan, County Dublin), but likely still waiting until next year.

Anyone here discover ant other ways to get bumped up the queue? Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

Want to charge EV on cheaper off peak rates.

Longer term, looking at solar/battery/feedin but right now just want to charge my EV cheaply so I have ordered the day/night meter, to be installed week after next.

Thanks for input. Had day/night meter installed early last week and already seeing that with charging the EV at night and other early morning activity in the house, 60% of our kWhrs are on the night rate so should see an appreciable drop in our next bill. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I contacted esbnetworks re speeding up the installation of a smart meter but based on this thread a day night meter is a superior option?

Bonkers state this meter is a good option if 25% of your electricity consumption is off peak.Would a full charge on my EV every couple of nights for 3-4 hours from midnight make the changeover worthwhile?

I’m the OP above. With night time charging of EV putting on approx 100kW a week as well as other typical 11pm-8am usage, turns out that our night time usage is 50% of our overall. Day/night is no brainer here. No harm getting one for the months/year before smart meter comes, if you have an EV. Smart meter will unlock some features/options but day/night seems to provide best discount for now in this scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What about day/night tariffs if you have a smart meter - is that the same as having a day/night meter.

My smart meter is being installed on Saturday but reading some of these threads is making me kind of think I should just leave things as they are until Im forced to change.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I was offered a smart meter looked at the various plans and they are more expensive than standard/day-night rates.

told them no thanks.

Advertisement