Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing on a new build house soon - how level should floors be

Options
  • 26-10-2021 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'll be closing on a new build house soon and the floors are in quite a poor state with rough plaster, pain spills etc. Even more concerning are a few holes and areas of rooms at different heights. The house specification says something along the lines of smooth concrete floor. Can I take it that this will be resolved in snagging, if not prior? Any with experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

yes your floor should be completely level when closing

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Great - thank you. I'm trying to line up the floor fitter and wanted to ensure I son't need to also be thinking I need to get it levelled prior to flooring commencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you haven't already done snagging, let the builders know that the current state isn't acceptable and you won't be signing off on it like this. Skimming the floor takes a while to do and dry, and chances are the builders* will try to avoid having to do it. Perhaps start with the gentle approach of asking them when they intend leveling the floor, then if they said "it's done", you can move on to letting them know it's not acceptable.

My house had actual trenches and holes in the main room, which they tried to tell me were a feature :) I'd bring a long plank and a spirit level to your snagging. Smooth and level aren't necessarily the same thing. Don't worry about the paint spills, but they need to sort out the lumps of plaster too.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise I was replying to an old thread. Hopefully your floor is long sorted by now.

*Not all builders

Advertisement