Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can vibrating roller compactors used in a road damage houses?

Options
  • 25-10-2021 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

I am a recent home owner. Our house was built last September. We live in an estate that keeps expanding so our road was used daily by construction machines and there were consequently many holes. The building company had some guys refurbishing our front road. They put tarmac and used 2 vibrating compacting rollers for 2 hours

I literally thought that we were going through an earthquake. The vibrations and noise could be felt inside.

I did a quick inspection around the house afterwards and could see small crackles on the walls, but I am pretty sure some of them were there before anyway. Also, I can hear my roof squeaking at night, something that I dont recall happening before.

That made me wonder : can such machines cause damage to homes ?

Thanks. I'd assume that the estate building company would have never taken such a risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its highly unlikely that the vibration would have caused any damage especially of a structural nature. Yes, it is noisy and annoying and as you felt the vibrations its a good sign that the compaction of the road materials was being properly done.

Regarding the roof you are now into colder weather and timber like a lot of materials will contract and expand so I wouldnt be too worried about that unless you see resultant cracking of the ceilings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clickclickboom

Thank you, that relieves me as I was in a lot of stress due to this.

My direct neighbours didn't look to have reported anything but I will still ask them when they show up.

I am just concerned you know that it made the walls move a lil bit and hence weakened the whole structure as the vibrations were so strong.

Advertisement