Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation on house - whare to start?

Options
  • 21-10-2021 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am looking to do a full renovation of my current property, based in rural Galway.

Its a rural 4 bed detached dormer, but only the downstairs was completed (upstairs is sealed off as a loft) so is effectively a 2 bed at the moment.

I would be looking to do a full remodel with some wall changes etc of the downstairs along with the completion of upstairs. Im also considering a small extension if cost effective.

Question is where do I start? Is this the remit of an architect, engineer, builder, interior designer etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

What's your budget?!!!

An Architect is probably the best way to start, they will help develop your ideas and get the best out of your project but finding one who's style you like and you get along with can take a few tries. They'll have contacts they can bid the job out to and will help ensure delivery is done and manage things for you. That all comes at a cost though! If you just get a builder you need to have a clear idea of what you want and have a high level of trust in the builder to deliver on time & budget. Move out if you can, it's going to be a mess trying to live there at the same time, avoid if possible!

Trade shows when they are on are a great chance to meet / chat / get ideas and contacts - like the RDS ideal home show or self build show when it comes back to Dublin. Self Build magazines / this forum are also a good place to ask questions and learn from other projects what you like / dislike.

You may not need planning, but there are some new rules around changes to existing buildings needing to up the BER considerably so get professional advice on that before commencing with your project.

Any wall changes should involve a structural engineer signing off on changes and worth having a chat with your home insurance provider for their advice - check references / professional organization memberships / insurance of all contractors and agree fair payment terms. No up front payments, and no big cash sums they can run off with. They should have enough credit with suppliers so you're not paying on advance and avoid any price to good to be true!

Good Luck!

Advertisement