Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A time you bargained

Options
  • 20-10-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Can you think of a time you bargained or negotiated? And what was your leverage? What did it boil down to? Did you feel you were bluffing, or did you sense that you had the upper hand? Or else was there a time someone got the better of you? Try to not talk about giving general advise on the subject and just tell us about that time your own experience.

My time was when I bought a second hand car. I had a price in mind and I ended up getting €300 off. My leverage was that I didn't feel as if I wanted the car. My heart was with a fancier car (in another garage) that I wanted to buy instead so a big part of me was hoping that I wouldn't be able to bargain him! I think the salesman probably thought I could read his mind or something.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You bought a car you didn't really want? Who's the winner here exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Met a classy lady out one night. She wanted a big large mac meal before heading back to my gaff. After some negotiation, I managed to negotiate it down to a cheeseburger and regular fries.

And people try to say that romance and chivalry are dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Was in Salou with the lads and the familys 5 years ago, one of my mates kids wanted the Barca away kit, he went into the fake tourist shops on Ramblas, (a street you could never get a bargain)

He wanted 30 a shirt, so my mate told him to F off, so while all the familys were in McDonalds (why??????). I went back ant got 4 shirts for 15each, 3 boys happy and one for me

Same trick happened in Madrid on the week of the UCL final (Pool v Spurs) guy came over to our table at lunch with the joint scarfs, 20 each, after a lot of loud bantering in a public space i got two for tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

You don't get it... my heart didn't want it but my head did. It was the best option of the two.

• Advertisement

A guy wanted one price for an item and I "bargained" him down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

He paid the price of a McDonald's meal plus 15 a shirt and a holiday in Salou or something like that.

Wat was your trick ? is this tread about getting a bargain

My trick in that case was walk away power. I just thought I read your post wrong or something when I saw the mention of the word 'trick'. It's about sharing wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I remember wanting a new bike as a child and my cheapskate mother finding a used one in an ad in the paper. We went to look at it, the thing was so hideous, it was like the bike the wicked witch of the west rode in Wizard of Oz when she stole Toto. I knew I would get slagged within an inch of my life riding the thing so told my mother I didn't want it.

When this was relayed to the owner of this ancient eyesore, the price went down from whatever it was. Still I didn't want it, she dropped the price again and again til she finally told my mother she could just take it for free. Obviously she just wanted rid of it because it was a huge ugly piece of metal cluttering up her garage. My mother insisted I take it, telling me not to 'look a gift horse in the mouth.'

My mother was convinced that the only reason I didn't like it was the colour. So she had my father paint it. He painted it black, only he didn't use the right kind of paint, it was like gloss black paint that was all lumpy. And then he painted red stripes along the metal mudguards.

All my friends had bmx's, which didn't even have mudguards. And they were aluminium, so you could shoot off jump ramps, bunnyhop a curb etc. This bike was definitely steel, it was like the battleship of bikes. If I had been struck by a car (which was what I was beginning to wish would happen) I'm certain the automobile involved would be written off completely and there would be a good chance of fatalities for the passengers within. It didn't even have inflatable tires, they were solid rubber. My mother was convinced this was a great bargain as I would never get a flat tire. But having air in your tires, I soon discovered, makes for a much, much smoother ride than solid material. One day of riding, far away from where other kids could see, confirmed this, my arse was one huge welt afterwards.

This bike would never bunnyhop up a curb. It was far too big and heavy, I couldn't even pull the handlebars up enough to hop off a curb where the two tires would land near the same time. The front tire would thud down and then several minutes later the rear tire would thud down, and all the rusted clattery parts from this world war 2 era contraption would jangle loudly until you reached the next curb, which you had to steer around because the bike would never make it up over any obstacle.

I rode it to some train tracks elevated above a small river and tossed the cursed thing in. I went home and told my mother I left it outside a shop and some one stole it. She gave me a clatter around the ear saying how I was a fool for thinking the bike was no good, and how it being stolen was proof that it was in fact a quality piece of machinery and went on and on about how my poor father worked so hard to make it look nice for me, and I was so spoiled, and I wouldn't be getting another bike, certainly not a new one, because I couldn't take care of that one properly.

That was the first and last time I ever bargained for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I remember at Féile years ago, a guy in the campsite one night selling beer shouting out "£1 each, or 4 for a fiver!". A mate of mine nearly bit the hand off him buying 4. We didn't bother telling him of his folly until we'd scabbed a can off him, leaving him with one can that ultimately cost him five quid. Yer man made a tidy profit, thee of us got free cans, and my mate learned a valuable lesson. So there was only winners, and that to me is the sign of a real bargain.

I bargained while in Italy recently when buying a baseball hat. Saved myself €1. I picked it off the stand on the street outside the store, and a staff member walked towards me. My friend had already bought a hat nearby for €5 but I thought this one would be worth more by the look of it. He said it was €7. I walked away from him until he shouted after me 'sei'. If he hadn't, I'd have come running back to him because I really liked that hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Haggling is a PITA to be honest...

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement