Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A field in Rolestown

Options
  • 19-10-2021 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

I was browsing Google maps/Street view when I came across the above. Given it's proximity to the airport (Dublin) I'm assuming it's related to operations there but does anyone know exactly what it is?

(I may well be wrong about it being related to the airport)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

A navigational aid then? Thanks for that, and the website, I'll look at that some more, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

It's called a VOR for VHF Omnidirectional Radio Range and is used for aircraft navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

VOR/DME. The VOR tells aircraft their angular position relative to the beacon and the DME tells their distance. So, taken together it's like a primitive form of GPS.

Just curious, is it still in use? Wikipedia seems to suggest that commercial aviation works off satellite navigation now exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Still in use, in particular as a back up to ILS approaches in most places. RNAV approaches based on satellite GPS are rolled out in most places but are only about as accurate as the VOR/DME approaches when it comes to minimum altitudes pilots can descend to without having the runway in sight to continue visually so both are being kept on to have redundancies available should the ILSs not work.

For enroute navigation though, GPS navigation has mostly taken over in most airspace with VORs and NDBs being retired if only used for enroute navigation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement