Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Airplanes

Options
  • 19-10-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anybody know the best place to get model airliner airplanes? I don’t mean the cheap plastic ones.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Several hobby shops around the country. Or maybe try hobbyking?

p.s. If you are a beginner it might be worth joining a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

I dont think he is looking for rc models ,think he wants something like this https://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=39406

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

i got a lovely diecast model of the Aer Lingus retro jet EI-DVM on Ali Express of all places. Very finely detailed with antennas etc. Unfortunately my nephew got his hands on it and it's been unserviceable ever since.

Good prices for detailed models and even the packaging was lovely. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MightyDucks

Thanks folks.

yeah I should have said it’s a diecast model I’m after. I’ll check out the ones mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I have a few of the 20 euro click together ones. I got them all from the shop in Schiphol over the years. I used have an expensive KLM MD11 one but it got damaged but they dont sell the expensive plastic ones there any more, only the 20-30 euro ones and the die cast. I actually had a Herpa Wings 747-400 air canada since the 90's but the plastic on the wheels perished and it was ruined!

Used have them all over my bed when i was younger. Im 38 now so they are in the home office. Marks Models usually have good Herpa wings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

As mentioned, Marks Models have a good range of model airplanes, so they are definitely worth a visit.

For online, you could try Amazon, or Wingsmo. They are two that come to mind.

I would mention Lovejet and Aviation Model Store. Both are great, but being UK based, postage is expensive, and there can be customs charges now, depending. Lovejet aren't delivering to Ireland now, due to some dispute with An Post and Brexit.

If things can get sorted so that these costs can be reduced, then I would recommend both sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Hello!

I'm putting together a [treasure hunt] event which needs to reference IONA Airways.

I need a prop so that a particularly terrible dad-joke works. Where oh where will I find a reasonably-sized twin-prop model plane which I can paint up in Iona livery? This is a free event, so I'm hoping to not spend more than a token sum!

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You will find a large selection of 1:100, 1:144 and 1:200 scale and more on AliExpress for quite cheap. It can be a maze to whittle it down to a twin prop but scroll through the suggested items at the end of the listing too and I'm sure you'll find something.

An ATR72 here quite reasonable too.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EubSlgd

Advertisement