Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPv6 and Eir 5G network.

Options
  • 18-10-2021 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I recently got Eir's 5G broadband on the CPE Pro 2 router I've had one issue but I was able to fix it by disabling IPv6 in the APN settings, I've been looking up that some networks are keeping their 5G IPv6 only and was wondering if anyone would know if Eir are doing something similar, my speed test hasn't changed much but the max I would get would be circa 125mbps download and 50 upload before and after disabling IPv6.

Cheers for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

The IP version being used has no direct bearing on speed in and of itself.

The networks can't do IPv6 only at present because so much of the internet is still not IPv6 ready. If they were IPv6 only and you disabled IPv6 then you'd have no connection at all.

However, what the networks are doing - and have done for some time - is not give you a unique IPv4 address. I imagine their 5G broadband is no different.

If you do a whatismyip.com lookup you'll see an IPv4 address showing but it won't be unique to you, there could be hundreds of people on Eir using that same IPv4 address. If you look at your modem and see the WAN IP given, instead of it showing the address shown on whatismyip.com, it'll be an address in a designated private range (start with 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or could be 100.x.x.x if using Carrier Grade NAT). The main impact this will have is if you need to do port forwarding, it won't work.

Advertisement