Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing bike saddle upgrade?

Options
  • 17-10-2021 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭

Hi, I

have a Canyon Endurance AL7.0,comes with a Selle Italia Model X saddle.

In a cycle, after 60+km my behind gets sore. It happens to everyone, to some extent. Would an upgrade help & if so any recommendations please?

My sitting position & saddle height are correct, I got it checked out recently.

(From their site-central cut-out and flexible wings for maximum comfort. Featuring durable Soft-Tek cover for maximum durability and scratch resistance. Rail material: manganese.)

Thanks,

Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Changed to Specialized Romin last year.

Fairly standard with a large cut out.

Big fan

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Im looking for a decebt saddle myself but im not spending 200 quid on one as ill get battered by the wife.

I have a mtb amazon saddle thats dead comfortable but weighs a ton and looks poxy on a giant defy advanced 2 2020.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Before you go down the rabbit hole of spending money on saddle(s), have you checked the "basics"?

Is yors arse adequately cushioned - what shorts are you wearing? Do you use chamois creaam?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have Canyon bibs so imagine the padding is decent. They're 1 1/4 years old (my only pair) so shouldn't be worn down/out. I don't use chamois cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just as likely to be the saddle shape as the material, the finish, or the 'price'. Too long/short, too narrow/wide, for your body shape and flexibility and you'll hurt. For many, a cheaper less strict saddle is often the cure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd spend the €15-€20 on a tub of Assos before spending on a saddle. It may well be the case that you need a new seat but it's a lot more costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think you are based in Galway OP??

I recently went to Nigel in THE bike shop Athenry. He measured me for a selle Italia saddle, using their calliper/ tool and it has transformed the comfort of my bike.

I’d never had a saddle issue in years of cycling, but the one that came on my latest bike was torturous. Sorted now

I am in Galway. Was into Nigel for the bike sizing. Might go back re saddle.

I'm fine for short spins, presume everyone gets a sore behind after 70km or so. Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Yep. Shouldn’t be getting saddle pain. I can cycle for hours and hours without saddle pain. Wish I had as much luck with my IT band.

I’ve had saddle pain in the past that was due to tight glutes. Some physio and building up strength and fitness sorted that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

There is a difference between a sore ass from a long spin ( which can be taken care of with decent shorts, and developing a leather ass over time ;)) and pain from having the wrong type of saddle. It is important to differentiate between the two. In my case, I could happily cycle a three or four day spin of 150km per day with no issue on one of my bikes, but not manage a two hour spin on the other, so I quickly realised the saddle was the culprit. I changed it, and didn't spend a huge amount on it. After getting measured for the right fit saddle, the issue was gone overnight. It certainly worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Could depend how much use the bibs get, and fit can vary. I've no idea whether Canyon bibs are well regarded, but I generally aim for a new pair of "good" shorts per season tbh if they are in regular rotation. Not that I don't use older, but I definitely have ones that are "long day out" ones (galibier equipe probably my "go to").

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Mantel have a 30 day trial period on a lot of saddles. A decent local bike shop would have a trial option. I've generally never had issues with saddles until I got my Canyon Endurace ON where they used their own brand. It was sore alright. Promptly replaced with a Selle Italia SLR TM Superflow.

There's a good question though, how do you differentiate a sore arse from being off the bike to a poor saddle? These days if I'm off the bike for a month I'll be sore very quickly and that's with bib shorts. No pressure points on the bike, just sore later that day. It's a tad concerning.

Merlin have this one for under €50 https://www.merlincycles.com/selle-italia-model-x-superflow-saddle-237719.html and it gets a rave review here: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/selle-italia-model-x-green-superflow-saddle-review-only-50-rides-like-200/

SELLE ITALIA MODEL X GREEN SUPERFLOW SADDLE REVIEW: ONLY $50, RIDES LIKE $200

It looks and rides far better than its modest cost would suggest, and is made without adhesives or polyurethanes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

user reviews of that saddle suggest it's very hard on shorts - i.e. the finish is quite abrasive.

Advertisement