Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having someone removed from your club - possible? Legal issues?

Options
  • 16-10-2021 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. But it's quite serious. And maybe someone will know the legalities etc.

A few years ago, I was casually dating and on dating apps. I met a guy on there, met a few times, and one night things went a lot further than I had wanted to. It actually took me a few years to realise what it was, and I have always blamed myself for it because "Well you went to his house so you clearly wanted it to happen."

I recently moved to another city, in Germany. I'm Irish, as is he, and there's an Irish community here, as well as a GAA club which I joined. I went to training this morning and he was there. I knew it was him immediately because you don't really forget a person like that. It immediately brought about panic and shock, so much that I didn't even train, just stood to the side crying.

The chairperson noticed, and as I have a good relationship with her I told her the situation. She immediately helped me to calm down and then told me there are many things that can be done to make my time with the club more comfortable, up to and including having the guy removed.

Would it be ok to have him removed? I'm brand new to the club, as far as I know so is he, and I feel like it would be causing a lot of fuss and hassle for people. I also don't know if it's even possible to have someone removed for something like that or of I'm just being too precious.

If you've read all this, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

On one hand you have accused a person to the chairperson of something without having involved the police.

I would imagine the chairperson is duty bound to act in some manner but it surely makes it difficult for then to remove a club member on the say of somebody else with nothing else to back it up.

On the other hand you have the right to feel safe and secure and enjoy your sport, while the accused has the right to due process.

Have you considered making a complaint now to the police? I dont know how far that will go but I would say if your willing to involve a member of the public in it then the police should also be involved.

Overall though I think you should seek out a professional to help talk through what happened. Ive a good friend who experienced sexual abuse and they got much more from professional help than legal help.

Advertisement