Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Riftbreaker

Options
  • 15-10-2021 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭

A hero-led action RTS from the creators of Xmorph Defense (of which I'm a huge fan). After a demo and prologue freebie most recently the full game has finally released (cheap on steam and also on Gamepass). I hadn't run through the prologue properly before so just did tonight, taking my time to really get used to the systems and they have nailed seamlessly mixing direct combat and base building again. Complex build options are easy to pull off during swarms so you will often be racing to shore up defenses between shots or jumping between firebases to build in parallel and head off enemies on your own. Visuals are great and while it has FSR you likely won't have to use it, it was ticking along around 100fps without it on 4k/Ultra/RT. Audio is mostly also very good, the soundtrack while something you are unlikely to listen to on it's own does serve the gameplay extremely well, sound fx are also meaty but where it drops a point or two is the voice acting but at the same time it's not too distracting.

The prologue nicely shows the base game mechanics so tomorrow I'll get into the campaign proper to see if they really take advantage of them. But so far I have high hopes.

Post edited by _CreeD_ on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I've put in probably another 6 or so hours today. Okay so I had a day off but it's absolutely brilliant and engrossing. It's been a long time since I've just lost hours like this to a game . Every time I think of something I wish they had included I find it already in there, at least in some fashion. The level to which the dev has tuned this is almost perfect so far. I'm loving exploring the first campaign map and also pushed by random events and standard hordes enough to really think about where I am expanding or simply building temporary firebases. No aspect of it has been tedious or clunky so far. If you like RTS with a mix of some adrenaline pumping action please get this. I had it as part of Gamepass and after doing the prologue there I ended up buying it on Steam aswell just to support and reward the devs (it also doesn't hurt that it's also incredibly cheap). While it's indie roots show occasionally (again voice acting) It's up there for GoTY for me so far.

Advertisement