Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Timber from the UK

Options
  • 14-10-2021 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of ye had experience with importing small personal use / hobby use timbers from the UK since Brexit?

The fancier type timbers for fine woodwork/box making etc?

Thanks in advance

lostgoat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

i've bought Baltic ply off Amazon in small 600 x 300 sheets as I can't get it locally. It depends on what you want as very few outlets will sell pre-planed wood and on the other hand it's simply uneconomical to try to import rough timber. Also I presume you want interesting woods for boxmaking - no point importing plain woods available here ! Ebay is one source if a little pricey. Another option I'd suggest is to check out www.rockler.com in the US who sell lovely pre-planed woods up to 24" long. I've bought some Rosewood from them in the past. With Addresspal the shipping rates are reasonable but be prepared for customs and vat duties of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try the carpentry Store in Naas and Strahans in Rathcoole, they may have what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lostgoat

Hi guys. Really appreciate the replies!

Recipio, thanks. I have identified a couple of outlets in the UK to import from, but just wondering if anyone had experience with the TARIC codes etc? Does timber need phytosanitary certificates?

Thanks again.

+1 for The Carpentry Store - I'd check with them first . I think you would be ok with seasoned timber. There are some outlets in the UK that sell pre planed timber but usually at a premium and only to UK mainland addresses. South London Hardwoods are one reliable source. Addresspal UK are good if a little slow ( despite all the complaints on Boards ) and as long as you keep the order under €150 you will only be caught for vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its that still the case?

and as long as you keep the order under €150 you will only be caught for vat.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The total cost inc VAT + handling charges must be under €150 otherwise customs charges are applied. Its an expensive way of buying timber.

Advertisement