Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 5g

Options
  • 14-10-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

What are peoplles experiences with 5g availability?

In the Dublin area I pick it up in very few places bits of Santry, Swords and Ballymun occasionally. Not in city centre and nearly never outside Dublin, speeds aren't great either.

Just curious as Vodafone seem very slow to roll out 5g..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Its very hit or miss around Cork city, few places like UCC, CUH, Apple and Eircom exchange in churchfield give good speed as they have NR which is using 100mhz of n78 bandwidth.

Other places they are using DSS which shows 5G coverage but gives 4G speed as they share available spectrum.

Eir and three are miles ahead when it comes to 5G coverage.

I had the best experience with Three 5G but lack of WiFi and 4G calling was a deal breaker for me.

not bad speeds for Eir either who have less available 5G spectrum (85mhz) and currently have a large chunk of that leased to Imagine.

Impressive 5G from Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

Trying to work out what plans allow 5G on prepay. Live Chat are telling me I have to signup to Extra Unlimited which specfically says max speeds of 10Mbps. Is a particular plan or opt in required on prepay to get 5G or will it work once I have a 5G phone?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

As far as I know 5G is only on the bill pay plans with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

They look set to introduce it on prepay shortly - scroll down to "5G on Pay as you Go FAQs" -> "How can I get 5g on PAYG":

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/pay-as-you-go-hub/pay-as-you-go/top-up-offer-faqs.html

Extra Unlimited looks set to go 5G on the 15th - note it says "5G Ready" but no mention of any speed cap which they normally do state if it applies:

https://n.vodafone.ie/content/dam/gowingmyself/pdfs/payg-terms-and-conditions-nov-2019-updated/extra-unlimited-5g.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

That’s great news. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

€25/28 days for 10GB 5G and calls and texts

€25/28 days for unlimited 5G and texts and weekend calls

€30/28 days for unlimited 5G data, calls and texts

No speed limits on any of their 5G prepay plans.

Pay as you go plans from Euro20 a month | Vodafone

It seems a bit mad because their prepay plans are now much better value than their SIM only billpay plans, two of which tie you into a twelve month contract and only the most expensive (€45 a month) has no speed limit.

Yeah I'm stuck on the €45 month plan for the next 6 months. Only benefit of BillPay SIM Only is Wifi and 4G calling which I unfortunately do need as indoor coverage in my area isn't great mainly due to insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I'm in Dublin City Centre at the moment and I have just noticed my phone picking up 5G on a Vodafone basic prepay deal (without the 5G add-on). Patchy reception, though.

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Same here last week. Wasn't sure if it was as my plan expired. I've since moved to gomo so can't tell you if it's still the case.

Post edited by DopeTech on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Shred

I've been on 5G bill pay for 24 months now but it's been pretty crap overall tbh. I've been meaning to call VF but have convinced myself not to numerous times...

I live in NCD and the fastest speeds I get are 60-70Mbps, speed aside I too often find I don't get more than 3G and regularly failback to Edge also, it's very patchy...meanwhile my wife on my old 11 pro nearby gets consistent 4G. I have been thinking there might be something up with the device, the fastest speed I've ever gotten was about 160Mb in Dublin 8.

Looking at the speeds posted at the top of this thread that's more what I'd expect!

Post edited by Shred on

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Shred

Sorry I thought I’d mentioned that - iPhone 13 Pro.

Advertisement