Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI - more paid weeks than the contract range?

Options
  • 13-10-2021 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, we are currently in Poland and my wife is trying to explain her paid PRSI contributions to a new employer.

One of the things we are struggling with: she was employed 21.11.2013-09.01.2014 which is exactly 7 weeks but the prsi statement says 9 weeks paid contributions. So do p45/p60 and the payslips.

Can anyone help us explaining why there are more weeks paid than the weeks during the contract?

Attached payslips. She had no other income during 2013/2014.

Thanks a lot

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'd imagine it's because they only run the payroll monthly. There are 4 weeks in some months, 5 in others so that's why she was covered for 2 calendar months on prsi.

If she was paid weekly, she wouldn't have had the benefit of it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

Thanks! So a person on a monthly payroll, working first week each months, gets full annual PRSI paid?

I actually can't answer that 100% because I'm not sure but to me that's the way I'd read it but maybe someone else who is paid monthly could clarify here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

You are supposed to manually override the number of insurable weeks in the payroll software if someone on a monthly payroll, starts or leaves mid month, and the software doesn't adjust based on the dates, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually do it. I've not come across the scenario where someone on monthly pay regularly only worked during 1 week of the month, but I expect the processor is supposed to adjust each time. In her case there should be no harm in taking the benefit of the two extra weeks on record from that long ago, so I wouldn't bother querying it further unless it is causing you a problem.

Also, I think in theory if she was paid on the 19th but left on say the 3rd of that month the payroll admin should mark her left on the 3rd but when they are doing their payroll run on the 19th then, they could do a payment to someone who was marked as left already but I'd imagine the PRSI would have ceased on the week of the 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I agree with ari101. That payroll package automatically allocates the monthly amount of prsi weeks.

the operator should by rights should check the actual number of weeks the employee worked hours in.

Either she/he forgot, wasn’t bothered or decided to give the employee the benefit of a couple of extra prsi weeks. It didn’t cost the employee any money just the employer. Did she work all 5 weeks in her first week and 2 in her second?

Just say to your wife’s new employer that she was paid monthly and the payroll automatically gave her all the weeks due for each month. (There are 4 months in which there are 5 weeks.)

In any case, out of curiosity, why is her new employer involved in something from 8 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wench

9 looks to be correct.

The PRSI week isn't a calendar one, or just a multiple of 7 days.

It starts on 1/1 each year.

So 21/11 - 25/11 is her first week, and it resets each Tuesday until the end of the year. The last "week" of the year is just Dec 31. So 7 credits in 2013.

Then on 1/1/14, the Wed, a new week starts, and she gets two credits in 2014

Advertisement