Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving school

Options
  • 12-10-2021 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for some advice, or even insights from anyone who went through something similar.

My OH and I, and our young family, are seriously considering moving down to Munster, where my wife is from, and away from the hustle and bustle (and expense) of living in the greater Dublin area.

I am a teacher, my wife is not. She will be able to continue her job if/when we move.

I am ETB sector, Post Primary. I have an AP1 post which I will obviously lose should I make the move. Onto that as well is the loss of permanency, and with that security. I am just wondering if anyone has gone through something similar - am I mad to lose the benefits that I outlined above - and whether someone had some bits of advice/reassurance.

I like my school presently, and am very comfortable and enjoy reasonable respect having been here for the guts of ten years. The commute is an issue, almost an hour each way, and with small children (the youngest starting school in September), we felt now would be a prudent time to make the move.

All advice/input welcome.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What are your subjects? No you are not mad to consider it considering the expense of living up here.

If your subject is in demand it should not be so difficult.

Can you first take a career break and then see what job situation is?

The rules on career breaks change all the time so i don't know.

As to the A post - you'd save that by moving.

I do know people who made the move but had somewhere free to rent for awhile. Look at job market because a lot of teachers obviously want out of Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

I was in a similar situation in the summer of 2020 minus the AP1. I live and work in Dublin but the commute to work was taking approx 1 hour each way and was impacting quality of life. Made the move to a school 15 mins from home and I've no regrets. Having said that, re-interviewing after the first year was incredibly stressful but it's definitely been worth it. Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Could you not go on the surplus-to-requirements redeployment scheme (one of three redeployment schemes, but the other two probably don't apply to you in Dublin) and that way you might keep your AP1 status if it's DoES paid? At least I know people who were redeployed following a school closure, the second type of redeployment scheme, and they kept their AP1 and other DoES-paid positions in the new school to which they were redeployed under that specific type of redeployment (They also had a right to seek another school after the first year under the same redeployment, but none of them sought it).

Not sure if you could ask your principal to put you on the surplus-to-requirements redeployment panel or if that must strictly be last-in, first-out? (The third redeployment scheme, a voluntary one, doesn't seem to apply for people teaching in Dublin)

https://www.asti.ie/your-employment/terms-and-conditions/redeployment/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

That AP1 is worth 4k a year in your pension for the rest of your life!If its coming up in the next 9-14 years Id stay put

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Thanks for all your informative comments - they are much appreciated.

Just to address some of the points/questions made above.

My subjects are Eng and His - so the most popular subjects out there! This is possibly a negative variable in moving, owing to the amount of Eng and His teachers around. However, with His now mandatory at JC level, that may not be as bad as it would have been viewed a few years ago.

From a Career Break point of view - was there something brought in during pandemic that you can now work in other schools when on a Career Break, which wasn't there before?

The Surplus to Requirements Redeployment would not work I think - from researching, it would apply to me within my ETB; as in, I could be redeployed with the scheme, as opposed to where I wish to go, which would not help.

I don't know the maths but I will trust the above figure - 4k a year to the pension is significant. My pension is far away - I am in my mid 30s - but it still a consideration.

Thank you again for all your input, lots of food for thought. No magic solution is going to reveal itself and perhaps a leap of faith is going to be needed if we want to move. Great to hear of other experiences, especially the commute.

I would discount the 4k pension. You would save that amount and multiples by getting out of Dublin. You can plan to earn that money by doing something when you retire. Plan ahead. The career break idea seems the best way forward

Advertisement