Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered part-time job but still on PUP

Options
  • 12-10-2021 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

I've been on PUP for nearly a year but have just been offered a part time job.

I'd never been on benefits before so don't know the ropes, so I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible for me to take the part time job and still get some kind of payment?
    2. Is there a cap on how many hours I could work a week?
    3. I have Crohns so part time is my only option really, will they take this into consideration?

I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with this sort of thing, I'm kinda in the dark

as to what to do next.

Many thanks, Craicfox.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I craicfox , as you know PUP is winding down , you don't mention at what level your Payment has reduced. Personally given your medical situation a part time job sounds like it might be worth considering.

In relation to benefits and part time work, yes absolutely, essentially you can claim a reduced hours JSA payment, paid on a daily rate link below for info. Important to say however your employer would need to sign weekly form you are required to submit. Keep in mind this is a jobseekers payment so your illness is not considered re its award or payment .

Re your Crohns disease and employment, I've very little understanding of this illness but know it can be very debilitating, there is a disability allowance payment , its a long term payment and under certain conditions does permit rehabilitative type of employment. I can't say if your illness is a defined illness with regard to being awarded DA, others may be able to advise. You may also need to discuss DA with your GP, it would seem to me (I'm not an expert) if you qualified, and it takes a while for a decision, you would have long term income certainty whilst possibly being able to work part time.

There's a lot to consider due to your illness but I'd also try the long term illness Forum on boards, there's actually a thread on your illness and others on there might be able to guide you better with their own experiences etc.

Good luck, I'm sure others can offer additional advice 😉

Link to Crohns Tread

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 craicfox

Dempo1, thanks for all the info, really appreciate it.

I'll check out the links you added and maybe have a chat with

my GP too.

God, boards is great, never ceases to amaze me how helpful people are, I really must use it more, sound

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Your welcome ( Boards Community not always kind 😏) but most are and some excellent people from all walks of life with different life experiences able to share their experiences.

Hope you'll get the answers and best solution 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you have paid prsi contributions previously you may be entitled to partial capacity benefit. I don’t know much about this payment other than it exists. Disablilty allowance is means tested but the limits and rules are extremely generous. For a single person working part time it’s a god send. The first €140 you earn from your part time employment is not assessed as means, the next €235 is assessed at 50% and after €375 every euro you earn more than that will loose you a euro from your benefits. If you have a partner though their wages will be assessed as means also. There is no list of defined illnesses for DA. You as an individual and the individual circumstances of your case will be assessed on its own merits. Write a good letter outlining how your condition affects your day to day life and your ability to work full time and include it with your application. Also get letters from any consultants you see regularly and your gp has to fill in a portion of the form. Best of luck with it. A lot of claims are turned down, then granted on appeal so be prepared for that.

edited a few figures there due to change in the budget.

Post edited by Cherry Blossom on

• Registered Users Posts: 35 craicfox

Thanks Cherry Blossom, I have paid PRSI all my life so I'll look into that partial capacity benefit too.

Yea I wasn't even sure if my condition was covered by DA, but the fact it's case by case is a relief.

Appreciate the info, cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement