Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Delay

Options
  • 12-10-2021 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently applied for a new job and was offered the position. However, it's been a couple of weeks since I got the offer and there's no sign of my contract. I emailed them and was told that there's nothing to worry about, they're just quite busy at the moment, but I wasn't exactly reassured. I've already handed in my notice and I'm starting to get worried that they're going to withdraw the offer. It would be a really crappy thing to do, but I've read stories about it happening nonetheless, and it seems that there's no recourse for the candidate as no contract has been signed. I'm wondering if this is a typical experience, or if I'm right to be worried

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Is the new role public sector? I've been in jobs in the public sector for a couple of months before they send on the contract (no matter how much I chase them). I've a mate who started a new role in July and they still hasn't even gotten theirs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've seen contacts being slow to issue, especially during Covid times. I would take the reassurance you got by phone and try not to over worry in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Nope, private. I accept I could be completely overanalysing and worrying about nothing, it just seems strange. I'm only happy to be proven wrong in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Theres no reason that the company couldn't send you a brief email to confirm that you have been offered the position and that the contract will issue in due course. That's just good manners and respectful to people but the company have up to 2 months to supply written terms of employment.

Did you get a reply to your email or just the call to say 'dont worry'. Was the call from HR?

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

In a new job they can simply say you are not suitable for the position and let you go with one week's notice at any point in the first year, so to be concerned that a job will be withdrawn is a moot point.

Where I am we issue contracts after they have started, but would assume that an email confirming they had got a particular position form part of the agreement for employment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Yes I got an offer letter over email detailing salary, benefits and responsibilities but all subject to references checking out and signing the final contract. All references were very complimentary so that wasn't an issue.

I got a reply explaining the delay and that it would be coming as soon as possible. Maybe everything is fine and I'm fretting about nothing, I just didn't want a situation where I end up with no job coming up to Christmas!

I was talking to somebody trying to recruit in a large tech company and he said quite frankly references aren’t even checked out any more, yes maybe for facts but certainly not for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Its easy to start worrying when you've already handed in notice but you got an email with basic information. You should get core information within your first 5 days after starting but the longer contract is probably going through the process which can be very slow in some companies. Best of luck in the new job!

Post edited by mrslancaster on

Advertisement