Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy not looking to go outside

Options
  • 11-10-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a new puppy, had it for last 2 weeks or so.

He pee's and poos outside no problem when we have him out, usually bring him to same spot in garden, giving him great praise when he goes. We used puppy pads for a few days and seemed to work.

But the puppy doesn't look to go outside to pee (poos are always done outside). If we have him out its fine, but sometimes he will randomly pee inside, could be anywhere in house, rugs or tiled floor. He doesn't go to door or sniff around door to look to go out.

Also he is fine going on lead when 2 of us bring him for a walk, but not too keen when its just one person, will hardly walk.

Puppy is fully vacced and 12 week old.

Anyone any advice, thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You basically need to watch every move he makes - after eating/sleeping/playing/at least once an hour take him out and lots of praise when he’s done. Restrict him when he can’t be supervised. You need to expect the odd accident at that age though as they’re so young. My guy was heading for the door within the first 2 weeks because I took 2 weeks off and was watching him like a hawk - we had a handful of accidents which were always our fault when we didn’t take him out etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ya its basically as tk says, you need to put the work in. when my one was a pup we had 3 accidents inside then she grasped the concept and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Thanks folks, yeah just have to keep an eye on him. Had him out 3 times today and has went each time, so getting better.

If you start saying a word/phrase when he’s going he’ll quickly learn what he’s out for and then you can just ask him to go and save a lot of time. Any accidents are just accidents - don’t get cross, if you can catch him in the act try to grab him and get him out to finish and then praise as normal. My guy will carry a toy/slipper/sock downstairs his mouth in the morning, run out for a wee and then run back in with it still in his mouth 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Thinking 3 times is nowhere near enough.I'd be putting him out first thing then every hour or so after.Straight away if he wakes from a nap and soon after feeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have to say, you're doing really well with a 12 week old. Keep it up. Just get rid of the puppy pads asap, they will slow your house training down if you're still using them. Puppies get used to a specific texture/substrate under their feet, don't let your puppy get used to how the pads feel.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd also echo the kudos for getting so far with him at such a young age op!

I would also be very much inclined to up the ante when it comes to reinforcing pup for toileting outside... use tasty food rewards as soon as you can after pup lifts out of the squat.

Praise is great, but it doesn't necessarily set their world on fire and make them think "I've GOT to pee outside, it's soooo much more rewarding than peeing inside!"

Remember that peeing and pooping are intrinsically reinforcing anyway... the feeling of relief after peeing or pooping can itself act as a powerful reinforcer, which is one of the reasons that pups continue to toilet indoors despite us bringing them out. This, I feel, is why tasty treats are so useful, because they help to jackpot the pup for going outside, rather than going inside, both of which are potentially about equally reinforcing as one another in the absence of that extra bonus!

I’ve realised that when I say praise I’ve automatically included treats in there too lol 😆 I always had treats near the back door to grab on the way out with Rory. (if I left them in my pockets they’d be begged away!)

Thanks all,

No more accidents yesterday, got him out a good few times and said toilet to him and he went. He looks to go outside for a poo, goes to back door, so thats half the battle is suppose. As people said its still early days, all new to him and to us!

Any advice on bringing him for a walk? He is fine going on lead when 2 of us bring him for a walk, but not too keen when its just one person, will hardly walk.

Is he too heavy to carry? I carried Rory until he was fully vaccinated to get him used to the sights and sounds around the area - then he was too heavy to carry very far. At that age I wouldn’t expect too much walking - everything is new / possibly a bit scary. A trick I use with Rory is to give him something to carry and he struts along thinking he’s brilliant lol. Or I get a stick/twig - like a carrot on a stick without the carrot and kind of dangle it in front to get him moving when he’s on strike. Having something squeaky in your pocket is another thing that works for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Lucky you! Regarding the walking, don't forget how young he is and how confusing the world is. Your walking pace may change when walking him alone, and also 5 mins per month of age means just 15 minutes at the moment.

Thanks folks, he's not too heavy at all and is getting used to the sights and sounds around. Had thought about giving him a little stick that he plays around with in the garden so will try that.

I keep forgetting how young he is and im rushing him a bit, so ill just have to take a step back and take my time. Go at his pace with everything. Its all new to me and to him!

Thanks again all

Rory will just do a backflip. Sometimes as we’re walking and I end up looking like a witch dragging him on his back! Earlier I was trying to get away from some off lead dogs so they wouldn’t bash the other fella - Rory had other ideas and went on strike - cue me trying to pull/hoosh him with my foot at the same time which would look like I’m kicking him to bits 🙄 (I used to have a relaxing walk with my older dog but the pup is too young to walk that far)

A good day yesterday, no accidents and out plenty of times. Plenty of praise and treats!

Still not too keen on going for a walk, even with two people. Will take time I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

my little man is now nearly six months old and I’d say we’ve had about 3 accidents in total in all that time. He was trained after being in the house 3 weeks.

Before he came I did a remote consult with a trainer and have to say it was the best money ever spent.

in respect of toilet training she said bring him out every couple of hours to see if he will pee and if he does not, then every 10 mins till he does. If no accidents, add 15 mins to the time, if an accident, cut back 15 mins. It was 3 tough weeks , getting up through the night, but after that he was done. I took two full weeks off work to concentrate on settling him in.

we did not use the puppy pads at all.

he is a breed that is deemed hard to house train, and it showed me that a bit of work at the start works wonders and that every dig is unique.

The one funny incident was we were watching tv and he was sitting on my lovely cream shaggy rug. He looked up at me half asleep and comfy then sunk down into the soft shaggy rug for a lovely pee!

Advertisement