Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find a mate for a dog?

Options
  • 09-10-2021 7:01pm

Hi,

I have a 4 year old lab, a wonderful dog and certified pure bred. I would like to find him a mate, not for profit, but for more 'basic needs' as such. However, I don't really know how to go about it and I never properly looked into it before when he was younger. From what research I did do, however, if I want to list him on a breeding site, it costs a lot of money, which I would rather not spend, to be honest.

Has anyone ever mated their dog without resorting to stud/breeding websites? Are there any groups etc?

Please, if you are pointing me towards something, only if you used it yourselves. In the event puppies come out of it, I want to know they are in good hands.

I want to point out that I'm not looking for a dog here (I hope I'm not breaking any rules even with this post), just for advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

He does not need to be bred from. In fact Stud work is not easy even for experienced owners.

For a start he needs to be health tested. This is not a vet check up. For Labradors they need hips & elbow scored & eye tests at the very least. These are expensive tests. It will be a lot more money than it would cost you to advertise on websites. Money you don't want to spend it seems

Stud dog owners don't look for bitches. It is actually the bitch owner that picks a suitable dog. What has he got to offer as a breeding dog to get owners interested? Is he an excellent working dog? Has he been assessed by a qualified FCI Labrador judge? Otherwise there will be little interest from bitch owners other than the odd back yard breeder.

Are you able to accommodate visiting bitches or have any experienced person to help with the stud work? It is not simply putting a dog & bitch together when the bitch is in heat!

Are you ok about being responsible for large litters of puppies? Both dog & bitch owner are responsible for any puppies produced.

The Labrador Breed Club of Ireland will be able to help with information for the health testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Many animals including dogs don’t mate for fun the way humans do. For dogs the act of mating is purely for the purpose of producing pups. You are anthrophamorphasising your pet with this idea. Mating for dogs is for many extremely stressful, they don’t always automatically know what to do it’s not unusual for them to be sick due to the stress involved. Creating a litter of pups purely so your dog can experience the physical act of mating is an extremely irresponsible thing to do. Enjoy your pet for what he is and forget about this notion is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I would like to find him a mate, not for profit, but for more 'basic needs' as such.

I'm not really understanding the reasoning behind what you are asking. Do you think he's missing out on not having a shag? You realise dogs don't mate for pleasure?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

I think you should really just get him a friend not a female for mating. Dogs only come in heat twice a year with barely 4 days when able to mate, so do you intend to mate the dog every year? A bitch in heat around the house is absolute mayhem and really not worth it. What would you do with the offspring of the mating give them away free so baiters could easily get their hands on them or sell them for money....... the amount of Covid puppies going into rescue at the moment is over whelming. I met a man at the vets the other day he bred a bernese had 12 pups only 2 sold he now has 10 x 4 month old bernese puppies to feed for the winter and he just bred for the dogs sake. neuter your dog so he has a long and healthy life & adopt a rescue for him to play with . Just saying !!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Further to my comment above for your information a bitch comes in heat over a period of about 21 days she is smelly, oozing blood & fluids and attracting all the neighbour dogs to your home. During the first 10 days she is not interested in mating but your dogs will be driven mad trying to mate she will be aggressive and fight with him ther is only a short window when the body allows her to accept the dog and then its over she continues oozing her fluids allover your nice floors and sofas and your dog is still mental for a good few after. The whole peace & equilibrium of the household is upset for what if not for profit why bother. Also your house mates / wife have to endure this drama. A dog loves a friend to run about & play with tread carefully on this one please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement