Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible for me to swap out this outdoor light for an outdoor plug socket?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

You wouldn't need to use a socket. Just take the light off and replace it with a camera.

That's the easy bit. Do you intend to use a wireless camera or how do you intend to watch or record what's on the camera?

I'd probably forget about changing the light over to a camera and use a POE camera instead if it's easy enough to get a cat 5 or car 6 cable to there if it was my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭SocialSpud

Thanks. I'll probably using something like Nest Outdoor Cam. I'd love POE but unfortunately I wouldn't have an easy straight run to this spot so it needs to be a socket + wifi.

The camera would not be positioned exactly where the light is so I was thinking some sort of outdoor double gang socket and then plug the outdoor camera into it with a long cable.

I don't know too much about electrics, reckon it's manageable? Can a light be replaced with a outdoor double gang socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im not an electrician but putting a socket where a light was isn't best practice. The socket would require 2.5 sq cable. Lights use 1.5sq. While the 1.5 would function its not right. You also would have a plug that's then working off a light switch and on the same mcb as other lights.

Thanks. Yea there's only a single switch to this one light so I could leave it ON all the time. But yea, this is was I was wondering about initially if it's safe to do so. I don't really need the light, I'd use an outdoor socket more but I have no real way of running a new one. I basically just wanted a way plug this cable in to power my Nest Cam: https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam_weatherproof_cable?hl=en-GB

Post edited by SocialSpud on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, you are correct. Lighting circuits use a smaller cable size than socket circuits. In addition unless this is a very new installation they are not protected by an RCD which is a requirement for socket circuits.

There are many types of cameras than can be powered from a lighting circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭denismc

Have you considered running an electrical cable through a wall to connect with an inside socket.

I did this to provide an outdoor socket for an automower.

You can buy kits with upto 50m of cable length. Have a look at the link below.

Outdoor Socket with Switched Covers,13A Outside Sockets Waterproof, 2 Gang Outdoor Plug Sockets Waterproof,IP66 Rated Weatherproof Outdoor Sockets (2 Gang with LED and 10M Cable) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08NV6M9LQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_WG1VD2MJ56SSWXS89070

Thanks. So I think I need to just find a camera which connects directly into the light cable rather than trying to add a socket. Unfortunately the one I was hoping to get only connects via a power socket. I'll keep looking though.

There actually is a socket directly opposite this light inside the house so I could try and connect it to that.

Advertisement