Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing sky q with Freesat and saorview

Options
  • 09-10-2021 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi. I have cancelled sky q and am returning to FTA.

Need information on what box is closest to sky in terms of recording/ series recording .

Was thinking of getting a Freesat recording box and a saorview connect box.

Is there a better/ cheaper option than this. It's for the family room so ease of use is important.

Thanks in advance for comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

A disadvantage of using separate boxes for satellite and Saorview is the need to switch inputs on the TV. Have you considered a combo box that combines FTA satellite and Saorview into one unit, one remote with the channels listed in any combination you like.

See here for examples of possibilities. There is a bit of a learning curve but plenty of support here.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057971250/zgemma-h7s-guide/p1

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057925678/cost-effective-high-functionality-user-friendly-replacement-for-pay-tv/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eam77

Hi. I was looking seriously at the zgemma h7 box but thought it looked very techy and difficult to set up hence the 2 boxes I was going to go with. Might have a rethink now that u recommend. Are they easy enough to use for recording

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You have a full 7 day EPG. Simply press the green button on the remote to set a timer. A dialogue pops up to confirm the settings and press green again to save it. Similarly, the blue button sets up an "autotimer" which is for series linking. For most people the default settings suffice but you can easily edit things if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Hi, I’m looking to do something similar for my parents.

They have a sky+ box and are paying a monthly subscription, but they don’t watch any of the sky channels, they only use the record feature.

I was thinking of changing to a PVR, they live on the border and pick up both saorview and free view. I was looking at the Manhattan t3-r as a replacement. It only has one rf output so I would have to use a splitter on the box to send the signal to the other tvs and I doubt this would work with a sky eye so couldn’t watch a recording in another room? Seems like a simple set up and user friendly. It should pick up saorview too?

Or as all the satellite cables are already there, is a combi box a better option? I don’t know much about them.

Just need something that’s easy to use, has some sort of series link feature. Bonus if it works in another room with a sky eye.

Advertisement