Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Shipping Company UK to Ireland for LARGE (0.4m3) and HEAVY (55kg) package

Options
  • 08-10-2021 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to have an excercise bike (UK based) shipped to a shipping company in the UK and then on to myself in Ireland.

1) It is rather large and heavy. 100cm x 50cm x 80cm. 55kg.

2) I know I have to pay import tax (I've read the stickied thread). Is there a way of claiming back the UK VAT paid on it? Is this something the shipping company can do on my behalf?

Thanks,

Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Brought £2k worth of gym equipment from the uk. Was charged Irish vat (definitely not uk vat as it was higher and adjusted when I changed my location to Ireland) upon paying, so presumed I would not be charged vat again.

Got a call from a Dublin Bonded warehouse company here saying they have the goods but I will have to pay duty, vat and fees before they deliver.

Should I not have been charged vat by the company selling the gym equipment? It says clearly on the invoice I paid vat already. I just expected to pay duty.

This brexit lark is confusing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Get on to the supplier, they are the only one that can answer you.

Yeah gave them a ring, they said they will get back to me. Just wondering what the standard procedure is now. Is this normal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They need to confirm if they pay Irish VAT. If they do, they need to confirm that to the shipping company that moved it to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Mod - you did another thread on this same subject, which I have deleted.

You put in the other that you bought it to a UK address. If that's the case you'll be paying UK VAT and Irish VAT + Duty if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thanks that’s one of the questions answered.

Any suggestions on a specific carrier?

Advertisement