Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another minor collision - no claim question

Options
  • 07-10-2021 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Apologies but I've scrolled through the threads and haven't found the answers to all of my questions.

Someone crashed into the back of me last night. It was very minor, it looks as though my bumper is cracked. Took pictures, swapped details etc. . I know in theory I should go through insurance, but he probably won't want to make a claim.

• If I go through his insurance company, can he still pay for it himself and not have a claim on his record?
    • Is it reasonable for me to go and get a quote for it to be repaired, let him know and then have him pay for that? What's the process for this - do I pay for it and have him repay me? That's the only bit that makes me uneasy - if he suddenly decides not to repay me

I have no reason to be suspicious of this man, everything was perfectly calm and civil afterwards - but you never know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Get a quote that you're happy with.

Give it to him, and let him pay it to you whatever way he wants; personally or through his insurance.

Then get your car repaired, or not, as you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

A bumper is about 1k to replace depending on the car. Most panels are. He may pay up and he can even pay his insurer back if you claim from them.

But if you are not aware of car costs civility can often evaporate like ice on the surface of the sun.

Then your faced with a very angry motorist who just can't understand why you can't let a fella he knows down a poorly lit back lane stick putty on it for 50quid.

Just don't be surprised if the reaction is really poor. This is why we have insurance. I would also have the garage check the car for any internal or unseen damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Don't forget to add in car hire for while your car is being repaired.

Also, remember that you're doing the other driver a favour by agreeing to let them pay themselves. Don't accept any nonsense from them. Basic process is

• You pick the garage to get the work done
    • Get the quote and pass it on
    • Any quibbles, and you go through their insurance.

Advertisement