Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow cloud?

Options
  • 06-10-2021 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

We saw this phenomenon this morning, it looked like a rainbow shape but without the colours really, only the shape.

Anyone knows what causes this? The skies were beautiful on the other side, all shades of purple.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Firework maybe or just a weird cloud shape?, looks pretty cool have to say.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Actually saw it this morning too. It was very co . It looked like a half circle directly above me

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Definitely not a firework, it just appeared all of a sudden, there was no sound of a firework. It looks really funny for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's a cloudbow

Cloudbow (atoptics.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Thank you so much, it's a beautiful phenomena!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Its because its at sunrise. Only the red colour is visible as thats the main colour thats not scattered ( rayleigh effect ) . Same as to why the sky goes red. When the sun gets higher it has less atmosphere to pass through , thus less scattering and so you would see the full spectrum rainbow then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Lovely photos haminka and what a glorious morning sky you had!

The rainbow that you photographed this morning reminds me of one that I saw here in Mayo on the evening of June 15th this year.

It had an orangey and ruddy glow to it also and like Iancar29 mentioned, it was the light from the low setting sun as opposed to the rising one this morning that gave it that unusual hue.

It started off as a double rainbow but then just changed into what more or less looked like an orange semi circle. It might be similar to the half circle that Reckless Abandonment mentions in their post.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and below a couple of pics of that rainbow that I saw last June.

Advertisement