Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten spaying

Options
  • 05-10-2021 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hi guys, my new kitten is fully vaccinated tomorrow but will be 16 weeks old the next day. My vets say they won't spay her until she's 3kg or 6 months but sure she's half that at the moment and desperate to go out. We have a new puppy too and she was a happy inside kitten until she saw him allowed in the garden. (they are getting on brilliantly). All my research(veterinary Ireland. Bluecross UK etc.) says that they now recommend spaying earlier(from 4 months( as it is safe and effective. . She's now diving out the backdoor every chance she gets and with toilet training a puppy it's hard to keep track every moment. When the puppy is outside she's cries to follow. Has anyone been in this position and are you happy it wasn't too young? Should I ask another vet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Well she's 20 weeks now and definitely in heat. I tried another veterinary surgery who agreed to spay her based on her behaviour changes. I explained her sudden more aggressive behaviour (she's playing more nails out aggressively) and she was shrieking the whole time I was on the phone. She's also put on more than a kilo since her last vet check/vaccination and is looking distinctly cat like. Anyway her behaviour change showed she's reached sexual maturity so they agreed she's old enough to be spayed. She is currently under house arrest. 🙂

Just following up, she was spayed yesterday and is back to nearly normal today so very hard to keep her quiet. She's extra clingy but who doesn't love a cuddly kitty. Her wound is very neat and surprisingly tiny. And her tortoiseshell skin is so soft and cute. ☺️

I have two females, both approx 20/21 weeks old and trying to get out! One is a lot smaller than the other though, (different litters). I'll get them done after christmas, and hopefully will start introducing them to the garden after that.

I hope your kitten recovers well.

She's doing great! Stitches due out on Tuesday and cone of shame removal can't come too soon!!! It's been tough on her, locking her up and stopping her playing with her dog friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

She's a cute girl indeed! She'll be better soon!

• Advertisement

All better and reunited with bestie 😊. Glad it's over, he's next🤣

Advertisement