Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a tractor from Northern Ireland to south

Options
  • 04-10-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

just wondering has anybody on here any experience in relation to the above, post brexit 2021 as I am interested in a tractor there, (private sale).

Interested to know are there any extra taxes/duties/vrt to be paid? What documentation is required to vrt /register the tractor in south?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by Oscar 2 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi @Oscar 2 - you didn't seem to be getting any responses so I've taken a look myself in some downtime and it looks like you'll be hit with a flat fee of €200. You'll have to present it for inspection too.

Based on this website:

A tractor is classed in Category C and so when you bring it over you'll need to declare it and pay the €200. That is my understanding of the above link.

However, from reading the Eamon Tinney website you need a few things to do it:

• Vehicle Identity Documentation
    • Owners Address and Name Declaration
    • Invoice from the date of purchase of the vehicle
    • A VRT Vehicle Purchase Declaration Form
    • P60 which includes your PPS number and so on
    • Satisfactory evidence of when the vehicle arrived in the country
    • Documentation confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture (as approved by the Revenue Commissioners).

If the citiziens info link is correct, then the final bullet on Tinney's list won't matter as Cat C is not defined by emissions.

Revenue site is probably best place for official up to date info:

There is a bit to it, but you'd be best phoning up the local NCTS office and getting the lowdown on the latest process. Hopefully this helps a bit and someone who has been through it before can chip with some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Importing from the UK/NI is the same as importing from China, an import of a vehicle from GB is treated as an import from a non-European Union (EU) country.

To trade tariff-free with the EU you must determine whether their goods qualify and provide evidence. So you will have to prove that the Tractor originated in the UK, sounds simple but it's not so for just a one off second hand Tractor, there's a mountain of paperwork and if you get through that then expect delays in it being processed.

So as well as what has already been stated above such as the VRT liability, if you can't avail of the EU-UK preferential origin rule then you will pay the VAT and Import duty. The import duty goes on top of the whole cost of importing including transport and VAT. Plus I'm not 100% in this but i don't think the UK seller can remove the UK VAT from the price.

You could go up north with cash in pocket and bring down a tractor but the minute you try and go legit with the tractor you'll get hit with all the above and probably more since you didn't follow procedure.

Bottom line it's just not worth the hassle, too much red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Oscar 2

Thanks very much for the replies. I was always aware of the standard vrt of €200 for tractors, my main concern was if there is any additional duties or charges since brexit.

I have asked a lot of people the past few days but everyone seems to have a different answer 🙈 it’s a private, straight sale with no vat. Or will I have to pay some form of vat anyways?

I have been told that because the tractor has been in the north long before brexit there will be no additional duties to be paid once I try to go legit in the south as the tractor hasn’t crossed the water post brexit. I am optimistically hoping this will be the case but still not 100% sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think you have to pay vat here, if the UK seller is registered for vat they can claim it back.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What I've heard, if the tractor was first reg on NI, there is no VAT applicable in that case, if it was reg in England there will be VAT applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

I done it very recently, private sale from Northern Ireland. If it is Northern tractor or UK tractor imported to NI before 2021 it's 200 euro.

Make booking online for VRT and take the tractor there.

You need to complete VRTVPD2, a purchase receipt, proof of import which can be hauler, V5/LOG book, drivers license, proof of address , proof of PPS and indentify vin number on the tractor .

See list attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Anyone register a tractor imported from an EU country recently? Just looking at a tractor that's up the North but was imported from Germany.. Dealer says its 200euro to register it in the Republic. Just wondering if theres any other hidden costs...

Post edited by divillybit on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 johnmck1

Hi knows an old one but just to clarify no VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sandman30

This is not true. Different rules apply importing from northern Ireland versus Britain. Northern Ireland is in a different customs zone. A friend bought from euro auctions in Dromore. Can't remember exact rules but very straightforward to import

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭G-Man

Farmer / small trader has an English registered tractor for sale but it has his NI address and name in it for last 4 months.. . He is Vat registered and i will be paying the vat.. Is this a straightforward 200eur or is it complicated as its english registered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tileman

No unfortunately not. I was trying the same before Xmas and went through it with customs here. They said if it was not registered in ni before before Brexit it needs a cleaning cert. Also if you are not vat registered you have to pay vat on both sides.

Thanks @Tileman Thats sort of what I figured out.. According to lots of others online....ignore it, but thats not for me. Its a very straight tractor, I would be devaluing it and exposing financial risk. I keep looking.

Yea I was getting lists of conflicting info online so went contacted customs myself. It’s a real pity as they are some lovely straight tractors up there but it doesn’t make any financial sense at the moment.

travtors down here are v expensive but I’ve being following a few and they are very slow to sell. Hopefully a bit of sense might come into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 decko77

If it was registered in NI prior to brexit, would you just have to pay Vat on NI only? And no import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smyth123456

What are the costs to import a 2017 tractor from a dealer in North Scotland to the Republic of Ireland?
    I am recently vat registered .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

€200 VRT, once the tractor has been registered in NI before Jan 1st 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smyth123456

it’s In Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿, I want to export my TM130 to Scotland and import a 234 valtra to Republic of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This is my understanding.

Dealer in Scotland needs to zero VAT for export.

You should then register for an EORI number and postpone the Irish VAT for accounting purposes.

You will need a customers broker to deal with Irish customs.

Costs will be cleaning cert in Scotland and transport.

• Advertisement

My dealer in NI tells me once the english reg tractor is registered at any stage in NI its a simple export down south.... Business up north have a eu vat number..... However I did not go ahead with it anyhow.....Might be all ok until I ho and register it for road use.

Advertisement