Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Cat Died

Options
  • 04-10-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago our cat started to fall around ,eyes going crazy, head tilted to one side, we took him to the Vet who said he had a stroke now what my problem is I never googled his symptoms which after I found matched up to Vestibular Disease this is similar to a stroke but he had all the problems listed for Vestibular and I read somewhere they can be confusing for vets, he was kept in for a few days and they told me he had no hope so I took him home and tried to feed him as best as I could, he died three days later, I am gutted that I never googled his problem because it matched totally the Vestibular symptoms there is no treatment for this and it usually resolves in 24 to 48 hours, I am almost certain that had I kept him at home he would be alive today, he had a lot of treatment and when I took him home his right paw was twice the size where he was getting injections etc. What do you think would you have taken him its really hard to take that he passed when perhaps he could be still here, he was ten years male old and an absolute great pal, he was able to open doors to get out of the bedroom, open the fridge door and open and close the press where his food was kept.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Baybay

Loss always leaves questions. You did what you thought best for your friend & followed the professional advice given. Try to take a little comfort from that.

It’s so very difficult to lose a pal & you have my sympathies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Don't beat yourself on this.

Your vet might have been confused because the symptoms can be the same, but if the Vestibular Disease usually resolves on its own in two days, and your cat didn't recover, then it is possible that the vet was right.

So, don't beat yourself on this, don't feel guilty, you did what you could do for him, the best you could, and he's not mad at you, he knows you did everything to save him.

Be kind to yourself, and take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

There are some things that you'll just never know and that's almost the hardest part of losing a pet. The shoulda woulda coulda's will drive you mental if you let them. And there's nothing that can be done about it now. I had the same sort of questions when my cat passed last November.

It'll take you some time but eventually you'll be able to remember the good times you had with your cat and all the years of love and wonderful memories he's given you. And you'll smile rather than cry. And you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

OMG Storm he was a beauty. The spitting image of my cat that died too. This is Pangur. She was a real lady.

• Advertisement

Another beauty face markings almost identical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

So sorry for your loss Storm. He looks like a gorgeous and happy guy. You gave him a good life, and this is absolutely not your fault in any way. I don't think it would have made a difference if you had taken him home, and you had to be able to trust the vet's advice.

Wish you all the best!

Just like to thank all who posted I feel so much better now after his passing, time is a great healer but we will never forget him he was a very important part of our life and we have so many great memories of him, he could open his bedroom door by standing on his hind legs and pulling down on the handle, he could open the fridge door to try to get ice he lived playing with it and he could open and close the press door where we kept his food sometimes helping himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

@Storm 10, your cat was really handsome, no doubt he left a deep mark in your hearts.

He knows he was loved, he will keep loving you from his cloud up there.

Advertisement