Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE)

• 04-10-2021 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Dear all,

I am a father of a 14 year old son, who asked me: Dad, why are you so anti vaccine? We could go to cinema then...

I am not, I replied, as vaccines proved to help us over the past, if they were correctly tested and approved by an international committee. I am rather against the way local governments are forcing it, violating human rights by discriminating those who hasn't got the vaccine. As by all scientific metrics testing is still in progress.

But leaving aside the fact that I struggle to find logical path in not allowing to enter the cinema or a cafe if not vaccinated, as those vaccinated also carry and spread the virus.

I would like to concentrate on the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and their power.

According to their recently passed resolution 2361, in the Section 7.3.2 it clearly prohibits the discrimination.

Council of Europe signed Resolution 2361, https://pace.coe.int/en/files/29004/html

However, according to a "fact checkers" it appears to be that it is not legally binding on member states or on the EU, though they do hold political influence and moral authority. https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL1N2LM1N1

Leaving aside personal view on the vaccine though.

Can someone say, what is the purpose of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe if their resolutions are ignored?

P.S.- I am planning on vaccinating myself next year and it is purely to give my son normal life experience to be able to go to cinemas etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ignoring the vaccine nonsense the purpose of the Parliamentary Assembly is to debate current social issues and make recommendations. saying that political body has moral authority is also nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

One thing people often forget or simply don't realise is that the Council of Europe (COE) is an entirely different unrelated organization to the European Union (EU) which simply does not have the competence of the EU.

Resolutions from the COE effectively means an agreed opinion.

Advertisement