Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone work in compliance?

• 04-10-2021 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm currently living abroad but will be moving back to Ireland in the next few months, and considering pursuing a career in compliance. I currently work as a mortgage underwriter for a global FI, but thinking that I want a something of a career change upon my return to Ireland.

Would be very curious to hear from anyone currently working in compliance, either in the financial field or otherwise. How are job prospects? Are the skills transferrable between different industries, e.g. could you use skills earned working in compliance with say a bank, and move into a compliance role in a tech company?

The work seems pretty interesting from what I have read. However I have also read that it can be mundane/repetitive at times, and that generally compliance workers can be somewhat disliked by their colleagues. So would also love to hear any opinions on the work itself before I consider paying for exams/qualifications etc.

Any input appreciated, thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

I don't work in a compliance role, I work as an external auditor checking compliance against various standards. I would think that more of an overall GRC role would be more varied. I enjoy meeting the different people and how the same issues are tackled by different companies. The skillset I see in GRC roles does vary. Some are from financial backgrounds, some have a MSc in some type of Computing, and some have no degree, but are incredibly good at their job.

I'd hold off paying for qualifications. If you're already a mortgage underwriter, you'd probably get the most benefit out of your experience by going into compliance with a mortgage provider. If you do, you'd be working with a regulated entity. Most entities regulated by the central bank are subject to competency requirements, so they're often willing to pay for employees' diplomas/certs themselves. Not guaranteed but in most cases, there'll be some form of exam support in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jayno66

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Good to hear that most are usually willing to provide some sort of support. Only thing is I'm not QFA or APA qualified either - I moved to Canada not really expecting to end up working as an underwriter (exams aren't required for the role here). So I'm a little apprehensive that the lack of exams under my belt (both for underwriting and compliance) may hold me back a little, which is why I'm considering even getting a start on them before moving back home.

Advertisement