Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a baby in the upcoming week(s)?

Options
  • 03-10-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everyone!

I have a big and unusual ask. 

As part of my masters in Psychotherapy in Trinity College Dublin we’re required to do Infant Observation - for an hour a week I’d be quietly observing an infant to become familiar how a baby develops week by week. 

I’m looking for a family that has a new born baby OR expects an infant in the next up to 6 weeks who would generously agree to be available once a week for 1 hour for up to 2 years. 

Could you think of a family that is expecting a child or just gave birth in Dublin?

I’d be happy to talk to them in more detail and answer any questions they might have. Or maybe you'd consider it yourself?

At the start, the observations are on Zoom and later on when safe they could be in-person. 

Families that have taken part in the past share that they found the experience valuable, it felt like they had dedicated quality time with their baby. 

Feel free to reach out to me here or on my Trinity email: tashevav@tcd.ie 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I've seen another student posting on local Facebook groups about this.

I have a 4 week old baby (and two other small kids) and no way could I dedicate an hour per week for two years to this. I barely have time to shower or eat, let alone log onto zoom calls.

I think your lecturers are misguided in requesting that families with new babies and small children dedicate this amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

I agree with the earlier poster. It's a huge time commitment and 2 years is such a long period that I don't think many people can foresee what they'll be at then. My first born is not even 2 and I'm due again next week which I couldn't have fully foreseen.

Also, from Zoom chats with family during the lockdown days, what they observed of our little boys behaviour was not at all representative of his normal way of acting. IN fact that was the only screen time he ever got, so even having these zoom observation times in themselves will have an impact on the baby. I'm slightly surprised this passed ethics considerations to be honest.

I'd consider other ways to do this such as self-reporting by parents / using video footage shared by parents mixed with maybe some limited observation.

Advertisement