Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company That Will Buy/Remove Contents of House Prior to Demolition?

Options
  • 02-10-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

We're going to be demolishing a circa 30 year old house in Dublin next month and building a new one in its place shortly after.

There's probably a lot that is salvageable from the current house, some of the materials used to build it the (redbrick, granite slabs maybe even roof tiles) are all in good condition. It was probably an expensive house at the time it was built so even some of the internal doors/floors etc are probably of some value.

I know there are some companies that deal with architectural salvage but I'm also interested in getting rid of anything of value inside the house. There are lots of of bits that again have decent resale value (a gas Aga oven, 5 year old gas fireplace, 1 year old gas boiler, recent oven, dishwasher, oven etc. There's even a hot tub outside (probably from Celtic tiger days) that is probably of some value!

What I'm wondering is if there is a company that would take everything that's of value and strip it out of the house prior to demolition and then they sell it all? I'm happy to forgo a great deal of the value to avoid the hassle/time of trying to sell all of this stuff privately. We have builders lined up for 6 weeks from now to start the demolition and are going to move out of the house in about 2/3 weeks so ideally between us moving out and the demolition starting I'd like to strip the house of as much of its useful contents as possible.

If anyone knows of any company that would provide such a service (my Googling has turned up architectural salvage companies but I don't think they are exactly what we're looking for.

Thanks!

Comments

I think, perhaps, you'll be forgoing all of the value, and depending on how saleable stuff is, you may even have to pay...

Have a read https://sfn.ie/

(Not a recommendation and have no connection to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks Stevie,

For sure, for the most part I'll be paying to dump the majority of the contents/the house itself. And then there's probably a lot of stuff that at best might be worth someone's effort to take for free and resell. But as I say there is a decent amount of stuff that definitely has value (the Aga is probably worth a few grand in itself) that I could sell myself but do not have the time so I'm hoping to find someone to do this for me.

I'll get in touch with those guys and see though from the wording of the site I suspect, as you say, they'll take things away for free at best.

Advertisement