Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Swords

Options
  • 29-09-2021 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

I noticed Argos in the Pavillions is closed. Does anyone know it is gone completely from the area or being relocated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is permanently closed in The Pavilions which I’m surprised to see considering how busy generally the Pavilions is, there is a huge residential catchment area around there of approximately 40,000 people before you’d factor in people from further afield and adjoining areas who go there to shop.... A weird one. Nearest Argos now to Swords is in Omni Park only about 9 kilometers to the South and a 15 minute drive away.

maybe the Hammerson gang were just hiking the rent ? has to be some reason behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I went past on Sunday morning and thought it just hadn't opened yet. That's a huge loss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

several argoses (argii?) around dublin have closed recently; my father was talking to staff in one recently (most likely blanch). i suspect they've been hit badly by the truck driver shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jervis also closed, I suppose high rents make no sense when you can click & reserve in to a nearbye store but Swords to Omni is a bit of a stretch distance wise especially if it was only a single item you were getting as part of a larger shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jervis one makes no sense that was always quite busy I thought. Why are landlords hiking rents during a pandemic? Weird...I can’t think of extra costs they’d be incurring and needing covering. Then again the nearest one is only 10 minutes away in the iilac...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They seem to live in a fantasy world that an empty store seeking rent of €100k a year lying idle for a year is better than putting in a new tennant for €80k as a more realistic market price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Argos is owned by Sainsbury's and last year they announced that by 2024 they'd be closing 420 "standalone" stores. It looks like they're scaling back and mostly keeping the ones within Sainsbury's supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

By saying a unit is 100k it ups the valuation of the property or centre for the landlords but let someone in at 80k and they have to do a 20k write down on the property value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

In fairness I have noticed that that branch of Argos upstairs in the Pavillions was practically empty of customers for a long time before the closure.

Id say with online sales, the pandemic , people were just not going in person to the store. Its also possible that the rent was going up or the lease was up, so they decided to pull the plug.

• Advertisement
Advertisement