Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview aerial built into TV?

Options
  • 29-09-2021 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi All, would anyone recommend a TV that has a built in ariel? Looking for something for my folks that can pick up RTE 1 and 2. Simple to operate as they are quite elderly.

many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can't think of any. A separate set-top aerial can be purchased but how well it receives Saorview will depend on the signal quality where you locate the aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Do you mean an Aerial or a built in tuner?

Most TVs now have built in Saorview/Freeview tuners such as Walker brand from Dimplex but a trawl of the likes of Powercity, Currys etc. should throw a few up for consideration

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TVs haven't come with built in aerials since the days of portable CRTs, and even if modern Saorview compatible TVs had them; you would pretty much need to see the transmitter for that to be of any use anyway - they were VHF aerials and Saorview is UHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

Thanks all. I’m a bit of a Luddite when it comes to Saorview. I meant an actual aerial. I guess then it’s a TV with a built in tuner that I need and an aerial. They are up around Blessington lakes, so not sure if a set top aerial will pickup a decent signal. Any recommendations on set top aerials? Thanks

Search their address here https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

What Saorview transmitter is recommended for their location and how far away is it?

If the transmitter is too far away an indoor aerial may not be good enough to get a decent signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

It might, but that is a pretty useless aerial. If that works so will a bit of wire hanging out of the aerial socket.

The TV network is designed around outdoor aerials 10 metres above ground. Why is it that people spend good money on a decent TV and want to skimp on an aerial?

The 10m a.g.l. figure is used in coverage prediction models for the Saorview network not where you should mount the aerial. RTÉ/2rn recommend an outdoor aerial but have never said it should be 10m a.g.l.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen this working 98% perfect in 3 different houses. There's slight interference during certain atmospheric conditions but otherwise does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Yeah, I got one of those for an old Samsung TV recently and it worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

That is meaningless. Because it works in 3 houses, probably near the transmitter, does not mean it will work for everyone. As said outdoor aerials are recommended.

Why is it that people spend good money on a decent TV and want to skimp on an aerial?

Advertisement