Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of supports for Start-Ups

Options
  • 29-09-2021 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all

Just curious for a perspective from people who have started their own business in Ireland over the last few years how they went about funding (if they indeed went for any).

Whilst having sufficient cash-flow to an extent, in advance of trading etc, I was really in the mindset that EI, LEO would be almost a gimme grant, but I've really struggled to get any help from them and even to a level, have found my LEO quite cold in helping out.

Any grants etc would've been a very welcome boost. I'm in the spot between making sufficient revenue to keep things ticking over, but also not having the funding to push on right now.

Do options of realistic grants pretty much end up EI/LEO? I looked into MicroFinance loans too but lack of previous sales etc didn't spark any interest from them.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I have to disagree with you here, plenty of supports, and a decent wedge of money available, but you have to play the game and play by their rules.

I feel the likes of the Trading Online Voucher is very much a gimme grant, but for the others you have to tick there boxes (and i'm ok with that, I wouldn't want the money wasted.)

There are other organisations outside of LEO & EI to be considered depending on the business - intertrade Ireland have always been very eager to engage and there are other regional programs that also have a reputation as being a bit easier to get funding from (Leader program, and many other rural focused funding pools seem to be crying out to give funding.)

One final note, some of the people I have dealt with in LEO have been amazing, but there have been others who have been very difficult to deal with - no love for the job, pencil pushers filling the hours in their day etc. If you have come across the latter, don't give up hope, just try again, the funding is definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

Thanks for the advice - I suppose it's an annoying one when searching on Google etc because the 'Power' providers shoot to the top due to their SEO and I pretty much give up then after a while of searching.

I'm surprised though if places are pretty much screaming out to provide grants that they aren't noticeable online.

EDIT: Isn't it poor on the LEO site that on the actual page for the Trading Online Voucher, there is no explanation on how to apply/no link to: https://www.localenterprise.ie/Discover-Business-Supports/Trading-Online-Voucher-Scheme-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

You need to look at your local LEO site, Tipperary for example...

There is a clear "apply here" link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There are absolutely massive supports for business, but money is not thrown about like confetti.

Part of business is raising your own funding, if you can't do that, then you may not be cut out for business.

State supports are not necessarily all grants and funding. They are more for advice and mentoring and opening the right doors. There's funding in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

i think the problem is that too many people do the same thing. you need to be more creative and more niche to make it. Brexit has closed off the British market. there is loads of opportunities in Europe for business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement