Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Using a head unit on a turbo..why?

• 29-09-2021 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ martyc5674

Just picked up a Garmin 830.

there seems to be plenty of screens/profiles on it dedicated to indoor trainers.

I have a smart trainer and Zwift already

is there something this can offer that I don’t have covered with smart trainer/Zwift?

(I assume it would be beneficial for controlling a smart trainer if you didn’t already couple it with Zwift/trainer road etc - I just can’t see too many people going to the expense of buying a smart trainer and then just using it with a Garmin)

Thoughts??

Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ mamax

You can create a training plan in garmin connect and use the head unit for workouts in a similar way as you would with trainer road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭ Macy0161

I don't have a relevant Garmin bike computer, but I think all the First Beat/ Recovery stuff only works recorded on a Garmin device. I think some is now taken from TrainerRoad workouts sync'd.

But yes, they can just control a smart turbo like TrainerRoad on a phone or Zwift whatever. With Wahoo you can build in Training Peaks and it'll sync (which also happens with zwift I think). I guess you could save a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ martyc5674

Cool.. I wonder if you could do these and Zwift @ the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭ Macy0161

It depends. I run TrainerRoad and Zwift concurrently. TrainerRoad controlling my turbo via ant+, turbo sending (but not controlling) power to zwift via bluetooth. You'd probably have to adjust the settings/ how stuff is paired.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭ dahat

I run a headunit while using Zwift for dual recording plus Zwift doesn’t give lap average power on screen with APTV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement