Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pizza, Italian, Burgers

Options
  • 29-09-2021 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, what would be your suggestions for some great Burgers in Dublin (Bunsen?) best proper Italian (not Milano) and the best Pizza in Dublin. Also if you can recommend a few nice non touristy pubs as well please.

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Da Mimmo in north strand once of best Italian and pizza, Bunsen good burger, bujo great too, wow burger good local option to most people. Wingman excellent if near you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pubs like black sheep and a few others do better biggers than the likes of bunsen imo.

Pizza. Sano for me, but it's been so long since I've been anywhere, there or anywhere else.

Italian, was taste of Emilia, but that's gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For proper Italian I'd say Bar Italia and Wallace's Taverna, the latter especially for lunch. Pizza at BoCo on Bolton Street is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Pizza,Sano is still excellent,was there last Saturday afternoon about 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've spent much of my adult life in the South West inner city and it probably shows, because I am probably missing some great spots on the Northside, and I will be watching this thread to try out any recommendations.

Pizza

Pi - Georges St. For me this is the only pizza in Dublin worth actually travelling for. There is some very good pizza in this city, Dublin Pizza Company, Coke Lane, UNO, Ritas, Boco etc. If you're in those neighbourhoods or within delivery distance get those. But if you like pizza, and you really want to have good pizza on a night out, go to PI.

Cirillos - Baggot St. If you like neapolitan then the most critically renowned pizza in Dublin is Cirillos. I find the pizza is only fine, but the restaurant is nice and the Arancini is class.

Di Fontaines - Parliament St. This pizza is only okay, but it is served by the slice and if you find yourself in Dublin at 2am looking for a snack before a taxi, but don't want a messy kebab or a salty bag of chips. This is where you go. Not just because the slices hit the spot, but the atmosphere here tends to be banging, particularly with the pedestrianization of Parliament St on Friday and Saturday nights. They always have the music on, there is always people dancing.

Italian

Sprezzatura - Grantham St (off Camden) and Rathmines. I think this is comfortably the trendiest place for Italian food right now. Good price but hard to get a booking. +1 for Bar Italia

Caffe Amore - Georges St. I've never had dinner here, just to clarify. However when I am in the mood for an Italian lunch, the sort of light sandwich, delicious Mediterranean salad, and perhaps some sort of flatbread or pizza slice. I go here. It's pretty authentic and I have never been disappoitned.

Sophies - The food is BANG average, it is a tiny bit overpriced and it is a souless press up restaurant. But it's a rooftop restaurant with great views over Dublin and you can have a pretty passable Italian meal for 2 for about 50 quid with a drink or two each. So it deserves a mention.

Burgers

Bunsen - Camden, Temble Bar, Dame, Ranelagh and probably more. If you only like Burgers I think Bunsen wins. The gimmick here is the restriction of choice. Their menu is a business card that has four burger options, with 7 topping options and three sides. That's it. The burgers are a Single, a Double, a single cheese or a double cheese. The toppings are Ketchup, Mayo, Mustard, Pickle, Onion, Tomato and Lettuce. Then shoe string, hand-cut, or sweet potato fries. You can get the burger well done or medium. They do burgers better than anyone, but you have to know what toppings you want, and if you want anything that's not a burger it is fairly restrictive.

Bujo - Sandymount Triangle. I dunno why this place is in Sandymount. It sort of makes no sense, but it is there and you have to deal with that. The burger here is slightly less good than Bunsen, but every other part of the experience is superior. The sides, drinks, desserts, choice etc. The chicken burger is particularly good RN imho. Deep fried pickles on the side are well worth trying even though I initially thought they'd be rank.

Mad Egg - Charlottes Way (Camdent St) and Millenium Walk. It's chicken, but hear me out. It is my favorite spot in Dublin for casual food rn. The "Birds" on their menu are all served as burgers. Big pieces of deliciously fried chicken with well thought out toppings. Some really exquisite sides, the Mac and Chese bombs are deep fried balls of Mac and Cheese and really are very good. Chicken Salt fries etc are quite strong. They don't consider themselves a burger joint, but they are well worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Wow burger, really? Tried there once and it was like cheap frozen burgers. Bunsen all the way for me, though I recently had a fab burger in the Waterloo pub on Baggot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Burger: I'm a big fan of Bunsen. Honourable mention to Bujo in Sandymount.

Pizza: Pi on George's Street, Coke Lane in the Circular in Rialto, Sano in Temple Bar (some don't travel well so I'm talking about eating in house rather than delivery)

Italian: Grano in Stoneybatter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on da Mimmo, cant wait to get back there soon for the first time in a couple of years. Love the ragu there and the pizzas are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

The Independent Pizza Company in Drumcondra do a mean pizza. Bunsen do great burgers but not a great dining experience, however, worth testing for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

all solid recommendations

id also echo the poster that recommended bar italia for italian food, its excellent and so is the service.

worth also checking out dash burger for really nice smash-burgers. i only ever ordered from them so not sure what it is like to sit in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

+1 for Da Mimmo or Wallaces Asti. Anyone on the Northside Wingman Van do great burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

thanks all for the recomendations, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Coke Lane are also in Lucky's which is the sister pub to the the Circular. Savage pizza.

Burgers, no love for Bobo's? I have never had a bad one in there, and while it's not Bunsen, its far better than the likes of Wowburger for a casual burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Ah, that makes sense re Coke Lane. I had seen they were in Lucky's at some point, but didn't realise it was a sister pub, just thought they had moved around a lot. They started out the back of Frank Ryan's (the laneway which is called Coke Lane) and then The Glimmerman briefly I think aswell.

Bobo's is decent, I don't think I've had a bad one either, but if I get the urge for a burger I always think of Bunsen first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have had good pizza in forno 500 on dame street; it's a good italian restaurant overall.

bobo's burgers (mainly been in their abbey street branch) is excellent; they do great non-beef and veggie options.

it's been at least five years since i was there, but il vicoletto on crow street was excellent the two visits we had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Came into thread to say Da Mimmo, it is absolutely excellent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Coke Lane in Luckys do the best garlic bread - mini pizza rather than baguette - I've ever had. Pizza is decent too, maybe not the best I've had but worth it.

Advertisement