Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog behaviour

Options
  • 28-09-2021 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Specifically Humping.

Is it just play or is it rude? I'm after reading so much conflicting information.

My neutered male dog tends to hump other dogs (sometimes the head end) and I correct him and try get him so cool off especially if the other dog isn't happy. I think some dogs seem to make a game of of it and almost joust and chase so it probably depends on the dogs. I'm aware it could cause a fight so I'm inclined to discourage him.

I've noticed in the past few weeks he is getting humped by nearly every dog we meet. Including by dogs that supposedly "never do it ". Is there some reason he is suddenly a target? Does he just smell nice? He won't accept it by the way, if a dog tries to hump him, he will kinda growl and spin out from underneath them. Just hoping that doesn't escalate over time. He is reactive on the lead too so its not ideal if an off lead dog runs up when he is on lead and tries to jump him. He's very small so if its a bigger dog, I'm concerned he could get injured.

Also anecdotally, neutered males are worse for humping in my experience. Is this anything to do with them being neutered to young? Is that another can of worms.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I believe it's possible for males to give off a girly aroma if they have some sort of bacterial overgrowth in their butts... might be no harm to have your vet check him out.

Humping outside of proper mating is generally not sexual in nature, it's more likely to be a coping strategy that some dogs use in anxious situations to try to "restore emotional homoeostasis", aka, to calm themselves and make themselves feel less anxious. They'll generally use strategies and behaviours that have worked for them before. Of course, as you've noticed, humping can often escalate things between dogs, despite the humper's intentions to calm things down.

Advertisement