Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot Pain - Where should I go?

Options
  • 28-09-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am hoping some runners might be able to help me.

I am struggling to resolve an issue that I have with my foot, and I am hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. 

I am not looking for medical advice. I'd like to hear if someone has experienced something similar and what route they took to resolve (podiatrist, doctor, physio, etc).

Last year, I got a mild pain in the ball of my left foot. This went on for a few months, but it was mild so it didn't bother me. In January of this year, I started to get concerned that it was still ongoing so I went to a podiatrist to resolve. After some checks, I was diagnosed with "Flexor hallucis longus and brevis weakness + slight restriction in 1st joint mobility". I was assigned some simple exercises (strengthening big toe, calves & stretching the big toe) and I was told that this could be resolved in 3/4 weeks.

Long story short, it's now nearly October and I have spent over €700 and it is still not resolved. I have gotten temporary insoles (not full custom made orthotics) and these have been changed over the months by increasing padding in certain areas. I have changed between various strengthening and stretching exercises, changed footwear, etc.

My issue now is more than just a mild dull pain in the ball of my foot. Sometimes, I can get a sharp pain on the inside the same foot (above the arch, below the big toe and to the side of the ball of foot).

The clinic I was going to have more or less washed their hands of me, without actually telling me. They schedule checkin calls, but never ring me. I am going back to them on next steps so I fear they don't know what to do next.

So, my question is... where should I go to next? I don't want to go around the houses spending another 700 quid on the hope that someone can help.

I could try a different podiatrist, they are foot experts after all.Someone said I should get a scan to rule out a break/fracture - so maybe I should go to a doctor/gp. I have also heard that a cortisone injection can help a foot recover.If this is a strength/stretching issue - perhaps a physio.

Does anyone had something similar, who did you go to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I had similar issues. Thought it was Plantar.

Turned out to be a cartilage issue which was fixed with an injection and a small anti inflammatory prescription but likewise spent a fortune on several physios who just went with the its plantar , take it easy routine

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ViperMAN

Thanks for your reply!

Where did you go to get it sorted? Your GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yeah go to a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ViperMAN

Will do - thanks Burkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 croaks

Have you tried Orthotic Insoles. They helped my foot pain with orthotics. I found them very nice and helpful to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭AMTE_21

I wenot not to a Podiatrist and along with exercises she did laser treatment which worked for me. I still do the exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I would go to a good trustworthy physio who will check all the muscles / ligaments / tendons / joints and see if anything is out of whack and causing a knock on effect. It needs to be a good hands on physio though so go by word of mouth. Quite a few physios send you off with a whole load of exercises but don’t fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Can anyone recommend a podiatrist/chiropodist in Cork that won't try and sell me orthotics?

Advertisement