If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

Foot Pain - Where should I go?

  • 28-09-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ ViperMAN

    Hi everyone,

    I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am hoping some runners might be able to help me.

    I am struggling to resolve an issue that I have with my foot, and I am hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. 

    I am not looking for medical advice. I'd like to hear if someone has experienced something similar and what route they took to resolve (podiatrist, doctor, physio, etc).

    Last year, I got a mild pain in the ball of my left foot. This went on for a few months, but it was mild so it didn't bother me. In January of this year, I started to get concerned that it was still ongoing so I went to a podiatrist to resolve. After some checks, I was diagnosed with "Flexor hallucis longus and brevis weakness + slight restriction in 1st joint mobility". I was assigned some simple exercises (strengthening big toe, calves & stretching the big toe) and I was told that this could be resolved in 3/4 weeks.

    Long story short, it's now nearly October and I have spent over €700 and it is still not resolved. I have gotten temporary insoles (not full custom made orthotics) and these have been changed over the months by increasing padding in certain areas. I have changed between various strengthening and stretching exercises, changed footwear, etc.

    My issue now is more than just a mild dull pain in the ball of my foot. Sometimes, I can get a sharp pain on the inside the same foot (above the arch, below the big toe and to the side of the ball of foot).

    The clinic I was going to have more or less washed their hands of me, without actually telling me. They schedule checkin calls, but never ring me. I am going back to them on next steps so I fear they don't know what to do next.

    So, my question is... where should I go to next? I don't want to go around the houses spending another 700 quid on the hope that someone can help.

    I could try a different podiatrist, they are foot experts after all.Someone said I should get a scan to rule out a break/fracture - so maybe I should go to a doctor/gp. I have also heard that a cortisone injection can help a foot recover.If this is a strength/stretching issue - perhaps a physio.

    Does anyone had something similar, who did you go to?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭ Burkie1203

    I had similar issues. Thought it was Plantar.

    Turned out to be a cartilage issue which was fixed with an injection and a small anti inflammatory prescription but likewise spent a fortune on several physios who just went with the its plantar , take it easy routine

  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ ViperMAN

    Thanks for your reply!

    Where did you go to get it sorted? Your GP?

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭ Burkie1203

    Yeah go to a doctor

  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ ViperMAN

    Will do - thanks Burkie!

  • Registered Users Posts: 1 croaks

    Have you tried Orthotic Insoles. They helped my foot pain with orthotics. I found them very nice and helpful to deal with.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ AMTE_21

    I wenot not to a Podiatrist and along with exercises she did laser treatment which worked for me. I still do the exercises.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭ Kellygirl

    I would go to a good trustworthy physio who will check all the muscles / ligaments / tendons / joints and see if anything is out of whack and causing a knock on effect. It needs to be a good hands on physio though so go by word of mouth. Quite a few physios send you off with a whole load of exercises but don’t fix the problem.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭ murph226

    Can anyone recommend a podiatrist/chiropodist in Cork that won't try and sell me orthotics?