Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary music teacher without piano skills?

Options
  • 28-09-2021 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi all how are you?

The short version of this is can I become a music teacher without piano skills? And by piano skills I mean being able to transpose a song for students on the spot, play different styles to give examples and generally accompany students in exams or performances.

I have long history with music, starting as a chorister at St. Patricks Cathedral Dublin, did music for my junior and leaving cert, played in bands, taught drums full time for a couple of years. I can play guitar, drums and a little whistle. I went to college to become a secondary music teacher. I left with a 2.1 in music from Trinity College. I focussed on music tech for my 2 final years.

Through all of this I have had a horrible relationship with the piano. And while I can learn a tune (had to play a tom waits song for a friends wedding- terrifying) I am not in any way a competent piano player.

I believe I would make an excellent teacher but wonder how this would work without piano skills. The classroom is one area but then there is the musical evening, the end of year musical; little shop of horrors and the like.

Is anybody out there teaching music without piano skills?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭pegdrums

If any secondary music teacher could get in touch withy me it would be a huge help.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Basic skills would be a help. Thats how I have got by for many years

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭pegdrums

thanks. And by basic do you mean ability to play a few basic songs in one key or how basic?

Advertisement