If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Has anyone any experience or advice for this situation?

  • 27-09-2021 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1


    I am asking this question on behalf of my brother.

    A few years ago he was involved in a serious, life changing accident. Fast forward to the present day and he is doing very well. he has completed rehabilitation and although is receiving Disability Allowance, he wants to retrain.

    Effectively his initial degree (level 8) is no longer useful to him and he wants to or perhaps has to, start from scratch. But he is told now that because he already has a level 8, no funding will be paid on his behalf, he would have to fund the course himself. At circa 7k a year in fees plus living expenses this is not realistic.

    I personally find it odd because he could get off disability in a few years time and contribute to society if he could do a course, meaning a saving for the tax payer in the long run!

    But anyway, has anyone experienced anything like this or heard of it before, is there some sort of 'special circumstances' application section in SUSI or such bodies?

    many thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭piplip87

    Was that through SUSI he was told that he would not receive funding ?

    I'd make an appointment at the local welfare office and ask about Back To Education allowance for people with disabilities.

    Also he can look into a Springboard course that could also really help him.

    There's is also apprenticeships for many sectors now, where you earn while you earn while you learn.