Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Josef Fritzl's wife Rosemary...

Options
  • 26-09-2021 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Something has been bothering me about the Josef Fritzl case.

My question is, why didn't his wife Rosemary do anything? She claims she didn't know what was going on...

But come on. An entire family was living WITHIN HER HOUSE for 24 years and she didn't pick up on...anything?

She didn't ask why Josef was buying twice as much groceries as needed, and why all that food was disappearing?

Josef had disguised the building of his dungeon by saying he was building a bomb shelter. When a man takes on a project like that he can become very obsessive about it. He was likely very dedicated to it and spent a lot of time and money on it. His craftsmanship is apparent in how well built it his. The place is quite well-equipped and even sound-proof to a certain extent. This man was obviously very dedicated to this project and had it well planned out. Rosemary didn't question why, one day, he suddenly stopped working on his dream project? And why on that same day her daughter mysteriously vanished?

The place was somewhat sound-proof, as they had many visitors to the place and no one seemed to hear anything. Although one visitor's dog did seem to hear something, as the dog's ears would perk up in the middle of the night and he would act strange. So the place wasn't COMPLETELY sound-proof, just relatively well sound-proofed. So am I to believe that in 24 years, Rosemary heard nothing? What about when Josef opened the door to the basement? Its obviously not sound-proof then. She didn't hear occasional screams or cries for help? Not a single one in 24 years?

The place had a toilet and sink and other appliances. These things break sometimes, especially when they are in use. A toilet not in use can probably sit there for decades and not break. But a toilet in use can get clogged, the flusher may break etc. Lots can go wrong. Maybe even Elizabeth broke these things in protest. Did Rosemary not wonder why Josef was heading down to fix these things?

I could go on and on all day. The more you think about it, the more unbelievable it seems that Rosemary could not possibly have known about a family living in an apartment within her own house. I think there is pretty ZERO chance she could not have known.

What do you think? Does she bear some responsibility? I think she absolutely knew all along but decided to do nothing about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Shes not trying to make us really believe she didn't know about it. She's trying to cast some legal doubt to stay out of trouble. She was either in on it or just so afraid of Josef she wouldn't speak up. I wouldn't let it bother you. It's a story, a facade. See it every day in every day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Don't underestimate how damaging an abusive relationship can be to someone's psyche. My assumption would be that she knew to some degree but blocked out the knowledge because she was likely a shell of a woman after so many years with a controlling partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Josef Fritzl wasn't a very nice person. He was likely a controlling, abusive husband and she a bullied and broken down wife that knew now to ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johnny five

I understand that he was a very abusive guy... but still.

She couldn't have taken some sort of action in those 24 years? I'm sure she could've arranged running away to a relative's house and calling police. Or just sinking a damn knife into him while he slept. Any caring mother would do the same. I can't absolve her of responsibility because he was abusive. A mother will to do anything to protect her kids.

She did absolutely nothing whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

She's either complicit by action or by inaction. What happened, happened. Boardsies aren't going to know the truth or have an insight into it and can only speculate. I'm sure there's books you could get with an in depth analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

How dare you question someone who pulled the victim in abusive relationship card? Don’t you know that this is unacceptable behaviour even if your argument makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Probably just too weak to do anything about it, my mother went into "pretend it's not happening mode " about my father , he was a hopeless husband and father but it was easier for my mother to just deal in denial.

I realise the Fritzel situation was remarkable but the universal principle is the same .

Bury head in sand

Advertisement